1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legendary Boston bartender laid off

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 10, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pretty good severance:

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not if he was making minimum wage and the majority of his income came via tips.

3. I stopped going to the Bull and Finch when the Cheers epidemic hit, and when Kershaw was revealed to be one of Newt's biggest political backers.
    Eddie Doyle, with Tommy Leonard at the Eliot, were the best in the biz for a long time.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fen, I thought of you when I read this in the NYT ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/11/dining/11pubs.html?_r=1&ref=dining

5. Book's a fun read, too.

6. Msaint

Msaint Member

Lovvvved the Eliot on Marathon Mondays. And it also has a bittersweet family tie for me: on the night my dad was born, my grandfather, who was a biiiig fan of booze, was at the Eliot Lounge (a big Sox/Celts/Bruins hangout back in the day, along with being Boston Marathon HQ) partying with the Red Sox of the early 40's -- Williams, Doerr, Foxx, Cronin, et al -- instead of at the hospital. Williams was their neighbor in Waban, in fact. My dad ended up mowing his lawn quite a bit.

And thus ends SJ family therapy hour . . .

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm coming back to Boston just to go to Sullivans.

8. We need Michael Gee to weigh in on Tommy Leonard. Nothing hitting the E-Lounge for a cold one and seeing Gee and others coming over from the Phoenix for an adult beverage ...

Draft saved Draft deleted