1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legalization? An Insult-Free Discussion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jul 27, 2006.

?

Should marijuana be legalized in the United States?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. Only for medical reasons

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. No

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Exactly. There are thousands of people out there who never ever do anything or live up to their potential, and to blame is solely on wackey weed is ridiculous. I never attended Georgetown University, but it was because I didn't apply myself enough in school, not because I smoked a blunt a couple of, years after my chance of attending Georgetown had already died.

I never went to the Naval Academy from the enlisted ranks, not because I smoked pot before wearing the uniform, but because I chose marriage, instead.

I never went to work at all these other great papers, not because I toked from time to time, but after a decade of moving around because of the military, I opted to stay in one city and put down some roots.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Legit points... I guess the whole question boils down to... Does making something illegal deter people from abusing it?  Judging by the prohibition period, the answer would seem to be no.  Point you guys.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Don't think for a second the pharmaceutical companies want pot legalized either. It would destroy them.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

One of two reasons jump to mind:
    1. You were implying weed was the reason

2. If weed wasn't related or a factor, you were relating a story totally unconnected to what we were talking about.

You're welcome.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jesus, I can't believe people are jumping all over MB for posting that. Lighten the fuck up Francis.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

First of all, only two people were taking issue with MB. And second, we're debating logic and reasoning. I'm not insulting him, but if he mentions the story of Johnny Failstosucceed on this particular thread, then it's taken to mean he's referring to Johnny smoking the gange.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

It's not my thing, but I believe legalization = regulation, which is important.

I'll also add that a good high school buddy was killed by a higher-than-a-kite 15-yr-old driver.

8. Lugnuts

Damn, he nuked that great post! :mad:

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hey Matamoros, I never asked you to nuke your post. You have your opinion and I respect it fully. That's why I wanted this to be an "insult-free discussion."

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I didn't come close to "jumping all over MB" for posting what he did. I merely questioned the relation to the topic at hand.

Much of this discussion boils down to "feeling." For a long period marijuana has been illegal. It has a stigma attached to it as some greater sin than alcohol and tobacco. As it currently stands, the latter is far more destructive than the former yet perception has it the other way.

This isn't to say that it is right for everyone or even healthy to undertake. However, when you have discussions regarding legality, it is good to put things in the proper frame of mind.

Human beings as a whole do a tremendous amount of stupid things. This seems to be pretty low on the list of things that should be prevented through jail time.

11. Lugnuts

I think which is more destructive, alcohol or pot-- is up for debate.

If my neighbor's husband had stuck to drinking around her, and not smoked pot around her.. would the kid have a learning disability?

Both destroy brain cells, though, you won't lose brain cells with a single glass of wine at dinner, whereas, a joint after dinner you will.

As a kid, I was taught that pot makes you stupid and messes with men's "man stuff." That's simply what was drilled into my head. As a result....... it's a major turnoff for me...... it's like "eeeww." Why would I want to make eeeww legal? That's the bottom line for me anyway. Very base.

Draft saved Draft deleted