1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legal to charge a fee if paying cash?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Charlie Brown, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

AT&T charges a fiver if you pay your cell phone bill with cash. Is that legal?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Might be worth it if you pay in pennies.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do you pay your phone bill every month in cash? And if so, why?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Near as I understand, they have to take cash (For all debts...) but they can charge a fee for it.

6. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

First time I've paid in cash. Too complicated to explain why. Never thought I'd live to see the day when you had to pay extra to pay with legal tender.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A lot of people don't realize that if it's not a debt but a payment for services to be rendered, they don't have to accept cash. Or something like that...

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I read an article that said a grocery store somewhere, maybe Florida, was no longer accepting checks or cash for payment. You had to pay with a credit or debit card.
    Said people who paid with cash or check clogged up the lines and made other customers wait.
    I would never frequent a place that didn't take cash or checks. Not because I pay with either very often, it just pisses me off when someplace tells me how I can spend my money. In my mind, they should be grateful for a customer.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Given the options these days---cash, debit or credit card--I totally understand why stores don't take cheques any more. They're the least secure form of payment But not accepting cash is ridiculous.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

After recently dealing with a cashier who couldn't figure out how much change to give for a $26.49 purchase paid for with two $20 bills, I can understand why some places don't want to accept cash.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There were several gas stations in the part of Alabama I lived that didn't take credit cards. Cash or check only.

And here in DC, there are still tons of places that accept cash only. No checks. No credit cards. Straight cash, homey.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Lots of counterfeit bills out there, but also plenty of stolen credit cards. Not accepting cash makes no damn sense. I suppose it makes the store less of a robbery target, but still.

What's not OK under credit card merchant agreements, or at least Visa's (I think it's Visa), is having a minimum credit card charge. I know why they do it, because the fee is a dollar or whatever. But it's technically not allowed under the merchant agreement. Under Visa's, neither is asking to see ID when a card is signed (unless the signature doesn't match). That was a few years ago, though; wouldn't surprise me if that's changed since then.

Draft saved Draft deleted