1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legal question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BujuBanton, Mar 6, 2011.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

What makes an illegal question?

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

It's been this way for several years, so I think neglect is the proper term.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I pointed that word out especially because if you are writing a news story, you are supposed to be objective.

Let someone else say it's neglect. Not you.

And -- in my experience -- many public schools lean on parents, bake sales, cookie sales, car washes, etc. to get this kind of stuff done, rather than waiting for the school board to pony up the money.

So while some may think this poor coaching staff is getting hosed, others may say, why don't they get off their asses and make it better instead of sticking the poor taxpayers with the bill.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Agree with Ace. It's much better to get someone to say it's being neglected.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

So while some may think this poor coaching staff is getting hosed, others may say, why don't they get off their asses and make it better instead of sticking the poor taxpayers with the bill.

My response would be: "Because it's the school/city's responsibility to provide decent space."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am not arguing with you, but I can give numerous examples of teams that had to spring for their own facilities or had to raise the funds to build their own fieldhouse or whatever.

7. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

??? The place floods, so the coaches should hold bake sales?

What exactly do you mean?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am saying that at many public schools the coaches/parents/booster club take it upon themselves to raise the money to improve the equipment and field conditions.

Maybe they could hold a bake sale to buy a sump pump.

9. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

That's my main issue with this school. Another example is the basketball teams, both boys and girls varsity, are coached by one guy. That's unheard of in my experience at a 3A school. Of course I write about this stuff and I'm told that I'm mean and hurting the kids, but they ask a guy to coach two varsity sports in the same season and act like it's normal. Then ask the kids to change in a flooded locker room. They pride themselves on academics, which is the big excuse for not caring about athletics. Again, I'm the awful person that brings this up, even though it's a well known fact around the area. The boys basketball team was winless this year so I had to dance around that in gamers and not come off as too hard on them - in addition to the awkward interview between games that the coach is working in an attempt to get fresh thoughts on the first game.

The health issues involved with standing water combined with the usual staph, etc. makes it amazing to me that they haven't fixed it for so long.

10. ringer

ringer Active Member

If you plan to write that the locker room floods, then you'd better see it first-hand to make sure.

Go there for fact-checking purposes and bring a camera.

11. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

turns out I didn't have to take a picture. The board approved 25k in improvements to the stadium and a local company donated some money to the program. I guess they finally woke up and realized that the place was in bad shape.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

So take the picture and say -- here's what the board finally agreed to fix.

Draft saved Draft deleted