1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Left-leaning' and 'right-leaning' columnists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 18, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This happened a few days ago, but I thought we might be able to discuss it here. The Washington Post's website redesign now segregates its columnists into "left-leaning" and "right-leaning" categories. CJR's takedown:

http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/wapos_new_opinion_tabs_miss_th.php

First, if you need a label to tell you that E.J. Dionne is a liberal or that George Will is a conservative, you probably shouldn't be reading them anyway.

Second, one of our major problems these days that many, many people just disregard opinions, no matter how well thought out or reasoned, out of blind ideology.

Third, the CJR story brings up an interesting point, in essence saying that by doing this, every story these folks write about will be viewed as political first and foremost.

Rather, the Post’s tabs are troublesome because they expose the flawed measure that the mainstream media uses to quantify ideological diversity. Left versus right is only one of the ways that columnists can vary in their orientation, and arguably it is one of the less important.

Thoughts?

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Agree. Stunningly bad idea.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've always found that I seek out the opinions I don't agree with because I find doing some more entertaining. I'm a slightly left-leaning moderate, but I listen to Hannity sometimes in my car because I know he'll be interesting to me -- although his "both ask and answer the questions" interview technique is starting to wear really thin -- and sometimes have Fox on at home for the same reason.

But sadly, I'm sure a lot of people seek out only opinions they'll agree with, and this will make it even easier to avoid any kind of reasonable discourse from the other side. So it's a convenience for readers, but probably a bad idea precisely because it IS too convenient.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Absolutely. Wow, who would think up something like this, and who would approve it?

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This is far from the biggest issue here, but can the left band together and reject Richard Cohen? I'd feel better.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Guess it's better than listing them as "dresses left" and "dresses right"

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Useless unless Krugman is described as "Deeply Confused."

Draft saved Draft deleted