1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee whacks 10 from Tulsa World

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Sep 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If it makes anyone feel better, they don't last very long in the jobs. McClatchy is on its third CEO in the nine years I've been there. At my previous stop, Tribune, where I thought the Zell days were a circus, here's what's happened since then

Tribune Publishing C.E.O. Departs in Management Shake-Up

Tribune Publishing CEOs Are Out After A Series Of Controversies

Tribune Media CEO Peter Liguori to step down

https://www.robertfeder.com/2016/02/23/michael-ferro-fires-tribune-ceo-jack-griffin/

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When does Chatham take over McClatchy?

3. BTExpress

They took over Sept. 4. That's when Craig Forman left and Tony Hunter replaced him.

We had to fill out our timecards with 3 extra days for the period ending Sept. 3 and three fewer days for the period beginning Sept. 4, so the timecards would have no overlap of ownership. Seemed pretty silly.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you think newspaper companies have a lot of turnover at the top, you’ve not paid attention to Lee for the past 20 years.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Is the company now thriving because of the switch?

6. BTExpress

Debt-free for the first time in 14 years. You tell me.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Please elaborate.

8. BTExpress

Emerged from bankruptcy. Largest creditor now owns them. Slate wiped clean.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yet, Mary works on ...

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Whether you liked the coverage or not, this seems like an odd place to talk shit about the paper. Good people lost their jobs, people I worked with and called friends, and they worked their asses off every day to make that paper great. And, yes, the World has put out some quality fucking journalism over the years. I was blessed to be a part of some of it, in sports and news. Maybe next time keep your limited, myopic opinion to yourself instead of spitting on the legacy of people who just lost their jobs.

For those who care, Michael Peters, the current sports editor, was among those laid off. Great guy.

SixToe, HanSenSE, Alma and 3 others like this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Looks like the ax fell for some more Tulsa World people yesterday. Longtime writer Bob Doucette and their chief photog among the casualties.

12. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

A friend at the Lee-owned Times of Northwest Indiana was laid off today. Only good news is he was doing other work on the side.

Draft saved Draft deleted