1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee shuts down Montana newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsGuyBCK, Sep 11, 2018.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Probably a quarter mil and more personal time on the company jet … :(

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Closing the alt weekly was a done deal as soon as Lee bought it (Lee also owns the daily paper, the Missoulian). It was just a matter of when.

This probably clinched it:

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Several Lee newsrooms have been unionizing, and Mary & The Sycophants have been reacting as you’d expect — by passive-aggressively doing whatever they can to hurt unconnected people in an attempt to make it look like it’s the Guild’s and/or the journalists’ fault.

In Casper, they whacked a non-unionized features editor just because they could in what many are interpreting as a warning. In a possibly unrelated move, they’ve also shut down the printing plant (laying off the nonunionized press crew) and moved the printing of the newspaper to Cheyenne, which in Wyoming terms is its biggest competitor and in geographic terms is a 3-hour drive away from Casper. I have no idea how that’s going to work out when I-25 is closed due to snowstorms and given southeast Wyoming weather trends, that could happen as soon as October.

Next on the “Lee newsroom organizing” list is the Southern Illinoisian in Carbondale, Ill., and a lot of people are eyeing that to see if the pattern repeats.

Also, re: the Missoulian, I hear that they laid off somebody in advertising who’d recently been diagnosed with cancer last week.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That's as bad a Mary Junck story as I've ever seen, and there have been so many over the years.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

Mary’s probably the most reviled person in the news business, and that’s quite an accomplishment.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I googled the distance between the Casper paper and the Cheyenne paper. The total distance is 187 miles. This exceeds the distance between the Sacramento and Fresno Bee, which is 169 miles, which as far as I know was previous record holder for "Longest Distance Between Two Newspapers Printed in the Same Plant".

Dare I ask what the deadlines will be?

I also have to believe print frequency in Caspar will soon be reduced.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I googled the distance between the Casper paper and the Cheyenne paper. The total distance is 187 miles. This exceeds the distance between the Sacramento and Fresno Bee, which is 169 miles, and as far as I know the previous record holder for "Longest Distance Between Two Newspapers Printed in the Same Plant".

Dare I ask what the deadlines will be?

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

What about Lean Dean??? Ole Lean Dean has a few enemies I'm sure.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

Singleton has shown some genuine remorse for what’s happening at Denver and the other properties he no longer has control over.

Mary & The Sycophants have shown no such emotion.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Draft saved Draft deleted