1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee makes cuts in Idaho, Lincoln, Neb.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here's the link about Idaho:

http://www.magicvalley.com/articles/2008/08/01/news/breaking_news/doc4893972d850b7596638909.txt

Also told that Lincoln, Neb., had some cuts this week.

2. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Good god, it just doesn't stop. And I love how these corporate PR releases masquerading as news stories always throw some line like "We're still one of the biggest employers in the area" or "We still have one of the largest staffs for an operation our size." Like that's going to make anyone feel better.
    And I know it has been asked before, but it needs to be asked again and again and again: Why are the people who made the decisions that have turned this industry into its current state still employed? I don't know about this operation specifically, but for a publicly traded company, if I were a stockholder and the business started to tank like it is -- and I was stupid/stubborn enough to leave my money in the stock -- I'd damn sure want the people who made the bad decisions out, and quickly.
    Instead, they cut the people who bust their ass day in and day out.
    Again: Why are the decision-makers not losing their jobs or paying dearly for making the wrong call over and over? Someone help me out here.... :mad:

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Lee's CEO just got a 17 percent pay raise. ::)

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but he did such a good job with the cuts.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He's a she, TP.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because those with all the cards can make the rules... no one holds them accountable.

7. Why doesn't some rich local guy just start a competing paper with a great online version and bury Lee, Singleton, and all these other punks?

First thing I'd do is put up a billboard that says, "Dean Singleton hates you. He doesn't care about you, he thinks you don't want a quality product. He thinks cutting his paper serves his customers. It doesn't. Dean Singleton hates you."

I'd do the same for Lee and everyone else, I'd go for the kick in the groin, tough marketing, make them hurt, make them embarrassed. Ridicule their business practices, talk about how they 100 percent hate their readers AND their advertisers. I'd go to every single advertiser and undercut them and promise great online ads. I'd also tell the advertisers that Singleton and Co. hate them.

I'd never go Wall Street, just independent ... well, if I had the money. Why doesn't someone stand up to these fools? If you put up a good paper/online product where you blanket local coverage it would be easy to bury these clowns who are putting out bad products.

I shouldn't be surprised at these cuts. These losers couldn't manage the business well when things were going good.

8. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

So much for the almighty dollar -- or in this case, the lack of them -- speaking up. You'd think the corporations would follow the money trail, see the leak, find out why it's there, and make the fix, i.e. change the suits. Then again, I wasn't smart enough to be born into wealth and handed a prestigious CEO-type of lifestyle. (sigh)

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Have you ever heard of the independent press? You pretty much spelled out their M.O. for the last 40 years.

The advocacy of the independent press is fantastic, but advocacy becomes shill to regular readers after a while, which is why most of those publications are niche freebies with the exception of areas with a college-educated demographic.

Sad to say, once readers get tired of the anti-corporate rhetoric, and they do, they skip the journalism and go straight for the movie reviews, restaurant reviews and personals. Readers would get geeked up about an anti-Singleton pub for a month, then they'd want YOUR publication to move on or they will.

Draft saved Draft deleted