1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee Jenkins on O.J. Mayo's "recruiting"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Mar 21, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

All this thread is missing is Chuck Taylor coming on here and calling us all haters and saying that we're being unfair to college hoops and why don't we criticize recruiting in other sports? Haters!

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I think it's also wise to point out that the circus surrounding O.J. Mayo was so silly that Bob Huggins even threw up his hands at it.

I say USC moves all its games to Thursday night next season so it can join NBC's comedy lineup.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Not to be a Jenkins hater --he is a fantastic writer-- but this isn't the first time Floyd has told this story. He said exactly the same thing in the fall, when Mayo signed. It just wasn't written as well as Jenkins' piece. Go back and read all the LA papers in the fall. There's not really much new information here.

An aside: word is that Guillory is the reason OJ took so long in signing with USC. He waited until the last day of the signing period to do so, even though his verbal had been reported long ago. His AAU coach and mom don't trust Guillory for a second. They don't want OJ out in LA, further under Guillory's influence.

4. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

The Ohio state tournament started this morning. Exactly a year ago today, I saw Floyd there...and OJ was playing in it. So I don't think this just happened to come about when some shady character slipped into Floyd's office.

5. chester

chester Member

Might have been watching Bill Walker, but I could be wrong on that. I know Mayo was suspended for his team's state semifinal game due to an incident at school.

6. VictoryGallop

VictoryGallop Member

Here's one piece of this that is lost on me ... He would have gone to an African-American college, which is more academically renowned. .. Is he talking a MEAC/SWAC school? They are not more academically renowned than USC. Not even close. Is he talking about something like Tuskegee?? I have no idea. I think that would have been worth mentioning .

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

That seemed a little strange to me too, but I think it's obvious he's not talking about Delaware State or Southern or somewhere like that. Morehouse or Spelman or Howard or Xavier, La., would all fit the profile of academically outstanding HBCUs, right?

(Though it does strain credulity a bit to imagine O.J. Mayo narrowing his college choices to USC and Spelman. One of several things that's just taken at face value in Jenkins' story.)

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Especially since Spellman is an all-women's school.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

My mistake. Turns out I'm not the HBC expert I've always thought I was.

10. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Hell, go sit in his driveway and don't talk to him. It works for the effin' studs.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i believe oj was talking at one time about florida a&m

there is something great about oj going to usc though, considering...

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Extremely well-played, sir!

Draft saved Draft deleted