1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee Jenkins on Buehrle in SI this week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Thought Lee Jenkins did a superb job in capturing Mark Buehrle's perfect game in this week's SI -- great personal detail, and no less than 12 people quoted in a four-page story. Just picked up on all the circumstances that make an amazing feat even more amazing. Literally got chills when I read that DeWayne Wise was "running toward a mural on the eight-foot wall of Billy Pierce, the White Sox pitcher who had a perfect game ruined with two outs in the ninth 51 years ago." I'm sure someone else had picked up on that in the past week, but first I'd read of it ...

2. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

This was a tremendous story, from beginning to end.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Terrific story.

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

For those interested, here it is:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1158398/index.htm

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I really liked that.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Thanks for the link, Martin.

7. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Great story
    Loved that story. Funny thing is I almost skipped it. My first impression was, what can you do with a week-old perfect game, how do you make it interesting? Some of the best storytelling I've seen in a long time, anywhere.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/specials/celebrating-greatness/?eref=sihp

Now that is a cover I'm going to buy. I'll save this story for then.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

great stuff, especially since it was a parachute job in detroit. probably wrote this late, late sunday night. had a few small mistakes and one mis-characterization, but a great read.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

OK, I'm intrigued. What's the mis-characterization?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Moddy: Give me something to read.

Lee Jenkins: Here you go.

Read it this morning. Loved it. So many wonderful layers, so much detail I didn't know. Great job.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

What a brilliant effort, and Lee's such a cool guy, too. The two are mutually exclusive, but I was happy to read that. The line about Contreras telling Castro - THE CATCHER - to STFU and not jinx it was pure gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted