1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee fires paper's only full-timer for doing interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 13, 2020.

1. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I'm living right in it.

Only sports guy left at my Lee shop, used to have 7. I also spend about 2 days a week doing editing and production work for the rest of the paper, leaving me 3 days to do sports and 2 to pick up "scraps" of time for it.

And, no, I'm not going to work 6-7 days a week. Won't do that.

But, whatever.

Look, I get why everyone gets angry at the people that run these chains and all, but what's the use anymore? There are heartless suits in every corporation. Newspapers are a horribly outdated business model. They're finished, just the way it is.

Show me the suit willing to beef up resources in the newsroom, and I'll show you somebody who's willing to lose a lot of money on a passion project.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Aw, come on. Lee’s up 1½¢ per share today!

3. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

The nonprofit model for news needs to become more prevalent. News for the public shouldn’t depend solely or even primarily on profitability for private businesses.

Fdufta and matt_garth like this.
  4. Legacy

Legacy Member

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

It's depressing for people like me, 34 years old. Read the paper with my grandfather when he was done with chores in the barn having a beer on the porch. Looked at reporters as important in the community. When I went on to college, played basketball for extra cash I got in at a paper writing up box scores high school roundups. We were a small daily but had 8 full-time sports reporters to cover 4 counties nearly 40 high schools, DIII college. Now, there isn't a full-timer. It's sad. Idgaf about the suits and their heartlessness. It's a loss for the community and blows what has happened to papers. The assholes who run them just exacerbates the problem. Fuck Gannett. Fuck Gatehouse. Fuck McClatchy. Fuck Lee.

HanSenSE and Woody Long like this.
  6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Please share more information on the benefits of the nonprofit model for news. How does it work? Would all the revenue from advertising, circulation and other sources plus donations go to pay expenses and a reserve is built up to expand the staff?

Is what is hurting the news business that profits are being taken out from newspapers? Isn't there a serious revenue problem at nearly all newspapers?

Draft saved Draft deleted