1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee Enterprises near bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ServeItUp, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Its my way of distracting the pigeons.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As long as you're thinking of the pigeons..

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Lee paper in Mason City, Iowa, laid off eight people yesterday, if I heard correctly. Not sure how many from the newsroom.

4. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

have a friend here. looks like some layoffs all around Lee ...

http://www.winonadailynews.com/articles/2009/01/22/news/05rvng22.txt

5. Mira

Mira Member

The Capital Times and Wisconsin State Journal are cutting five each from its newsrooms.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/37878689.html

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We need a transactions board to keep up.

7. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2009/01/27/lee-joins-newspaper-privation-train/

Mary Junck takes one for the team. Atta kid.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Sources within the organization report the Quad-City Times will ask its employees to take a week off without pay. Sources say Lee made half as much money as it wanted to in 2008, prompting "this difficult measure to be taken."

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Funny, I made roughly 1/300th of what I wanted to make in 2008.

10. ewt112

ewt112 New Member

Interesting. I slave at a Lee shop, we were told today they aren't kicking into the 401K anymore and they are instituting a pay freeze, no bonuses or raises this year.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Anyone hear any news out of St. Louis today?

12. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Member

Lee paper in Longview (Wash.) Daily News axed two from newsroom on Wednesday, including photog who'd been here 20 years. I guess we're supposed to take "action" photos of prep sports with our point and shoot. Now we're either going to all take a week of unpaid "vacation" in the next three months or we all go down to 37 1/2 hours a week. That's just for now. In a few weeks, it could be we all take turns running the press on Friday nights. Horrible company to work for even when it was "healthy." Mary Junck (Joke?) paid a visit to our newsroom once to "congratulate" the paper on making its annual "plan," and she scooped ice cream into cones for 15 minutes then blew outta town on her jet.

Draft saved Draft deleted