1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee Enterprises near bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ServeItUp, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Quad-City Times also lost some people. So far, all I hear is one in online.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

A friend who works their said there were two in the newsroom. One online/video person and one features reporter.

Dave Buck was the sports reporter laid off in Casper.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Casper. Billings. Quad Cities. St. Louis. They're trying to get ducks in a row pronto to wring a deal out of the bankers. I believe Friday is when the waiver on one of their big notes runs out.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I'm pretty sure corporate asked each paper to cut 4% of its budget, whether that be people or other expenses.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

The Q-C features reporter laid off was a 64-year veteran of the paper. What motivation, then, do young people have to make a career of it?

6. jps

jps Active Member

both casper and billings are solid products and places I'd thought of looking at getting into in the past ... too bad. not surprising, I suppose, in this climate, but the ball just keeps on rollin and getting bigger, unfortunately.

7. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jYJIHGAuSefgPRUv63sNiehz5GPAD95QT9B00

8. DwightKSchrute

DwightKSchrute New Member

It's not Bill Wundrum, was it? That's a pretty bad sign if it's him, because I think they've got a statue of the guy outside their building.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

No, Dwight, it was Shirley Davis. She did mostly senior news in recent years, so the one demographic still reading the paper in significant numbers now has nothing.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I was about to freak out if it was Bill. And yes, they have a statue of him in front of the building. Davenport would riot if they let him, Don Doxsie, or the good ones go.

I haven't heard any cuts yet at my hometown paper, Waterloo Courier. They're under Lee, along with the Sioux City Journal.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Note to self. To avoid potential layoff, have statue of myself put in front of my building.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh good. A metal portrait of you to attract pigeon shit instead of the real thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted