1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee Enterprises is "burning the furniture" to survive

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 12, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And this analyst sees no hope. Stock is at $3.28 now, but according to this group it is worth $2.85 at the most and is "likely ultimately worthless."

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/11/12/analysts-lee-enterprises-is-doomed/

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the CEO will get another bonus for saving on the trash costs.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Pretty damning analysis there, but — unlike her giant bonus — Mary Junck has certainly earned it.

The stats:

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You can definitely notice it. The Post-Dispatch is my favorite paper by far (unmatched Cardinals coverage), but it's been placed on a heavy newsprint diet in the last five years.

I hope someone comes to the rescue of these papers. I don't think it'd be Buffett in the case of the P-D but you never know.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I sold all my remaining stock today. Took a bath from what it was worth at its zeneth, but over the 25-plus years I participated in the EOPS it was a very good investment. Helped me save to buy a house, re-roof said house, and to buy an automobile. I thought the Shermers were pretty good stewards of the company and they had an excellent business model before they went aquisition-crazy. Mary Junk can rot in HE double hockey sticks but as usual in these types of collapses upper management will make out like bandits.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Glad I never bought employee stock the years I was there. Straight drop. $45 when I started in '04, less than a dollar when I left nearly eight years later.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I never bought stock when I was an employee, either. McDonald's got all the left over pocket change. I probably came out ahead on that deal. At least when I had to eat it, it tasted pretty good. :)

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mary Junck has balls, you can say that for her:

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/12/03/lee-enterprises-hands-out-executive-bonuses-after-reporting-big-revenue-decline/

On November 27 — Thanksgiving Eve — Lee execs were treated to stock bonuses. Here’s what they got:

Chief executive officer Mary Junck — 200,000 shares
    Chief financial officer Carl Schmidt — 50,000 shares
    Chief operating officer Kevin Mowbray — 50,000 shares
    Vice president of sales and marketing Michael R. Gulledge — 22,000 shares
    Vice president of interactive Gregory Schermer — 16,000 shares
    Vice president of publishing Greg Veon — 10,000 shares

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, but, if you don't give them the bonuses, they'll leave!!!

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What's the old adage about stock: Buy low, sell high?

At those prices, I could actually afford to purchase a few shares. Wonder if there's any hope it might bounce back within a few years?

11. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Burn more furniture, bump it up, sell, wait to give yourself more bonuses.

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

You should have went in when it was 5 cents a share a few years back. You would have made a fortune selling at what it is now.

Draft saved Draft deleted