1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee demands massive paycut from P-D union

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RickStain, Jun 3, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2009/06/01/daily5.html

Sorry if this has been posted, I don't see it anywhere.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At some point, you have to make 'em shut it down. What's the point of a job with that kind of pay cut? Fear of the future doesn't work when the present is intolerable.

3. RickStain

If these are applied accross the board

Someone making $30k/year there now would make $23k after these paycuts. $28k would be down to $21.5k.

I hope these are not across-the-board cuts, because even I find that unlivable in an urban area.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wish the union would tell the highest paid members of management to cut their salaries to $30 grand a year before they start telling the rest of the workers to chop their salaries.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

True. At a certain point there's nothing left to save but your dignity. The Guild members should tell the company reps to shut the paper down, pay everyone their full severance and eat shit.

Because the 23 percent cut isn't what they're really after here. They want to gut the contract, break contractual obligations to retirees, and have the flexibility to cut jobs at will and without cost. Note their wish list:

• Ability to lay off employees for any reason

• The right to suspend employees for up to three days without “just cause”

• Eliminating paid maternity leave

• Cutting unpaid maternity leave in half, to 12 weeks maximum

• Eliminating retiree medical

• Eliminating retiree life insurance

• Eliminating 401(k) match

• Freezing Pulitzer Pension Plan

• Increasing employee share of medical premiums to 30 percent from 25 percent

• Eliminating the Pulitzer PPO medical plan

• Eliminating a set guaranteed base for commission sales reps

• Requiring outside sales reps to work unlimited unpaid overtime

• Eliminating company vehicles for photographers

• Eliminating shares of reprints for photographers

6. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Holy shit cran, when I first read those bullet points/wish list I honest to God thought you had made them up to make a sarcastic point as to what lengths these companies might go. But then I clicked on the link and saw they were for real!!! I mean all of those are utterly despicable, especially the ones referencing maternity leave and retiree benefits, but isn't the one I bolded outright illegal?

Yeah, I hope the union tells Lee to go pack sand!!! :mad:

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They should simply refuse to negotiate. At all. Except to go on TV and read the list of Lee's demands, carefully pointing out the illegal ones.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, if they don't like how your hair is combed, you're suspended for three days.

Time for the union to sack up and tell them to just close the paper already.

9. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Got to say Lee sounds like the WORST NEWSPAPER CHAIN ever. Why would anyone willingly stay at a company like this?

Working at McDonald's offers more security and you can least regain an ounce of pride when you hand the local track and field coach his meal out the drive-through window.

Being unemployed sounds better than working for Lee. You will still get about the same amount of money and won't have the stress that comes along with working for a horrible newspaper.

Time to shut the doors at all Lee papers now. That's where things are headed.

10. RickStain

No, you can't. There is nothing more embarrassing than working fast food. I made more than I make now as a reporter, but I can look people in the eye and tell them what my job is.

11. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

You made more working fast food than at a newspaper?

That says it all about how little value newspapers have for employees.

I hope Wendy's or Burger King are hiring.

12. RickStain

My past wages:
    Burger King assistant manager in college: $12.35/hour
    Copy editor at mid-sized, national-award winning sports section: $11.75
    Washed-out sports reporter at tiny daily in middle of nowhere: $10.65

Draft saved Draft deleted