1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ledger-Enquirer Auburn beat reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jul 25, 2012.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1387626

The Ledger-Enquirer, a McClatchy-owned daily newspaper in Columbus, Ga., has an immediate opening for a sportswriter to cover Auburn University football.

This is a true beat reporting job covering the SEC football team at home and on the road. We are looking for a reporter who is not afraid to aggressively cover one of the country's largest collegiate athletic programs.

The position is a combination of writing for the print edition of the newspaper, blogging at our popular wareagleextra.com blog and producing video.

This reporter will live in Auburn or the surrounding area and is expected to work out of his or her home. While Auburn football is the focus for most of the year, the job also requires covering other sports and other teams, including Columbus area high schools, as part of the Ledger-Enquirer sports staff.

McClatchy is the nation's third-largest newspaper group. It emphasizes high journalistic standards and embraces an array of new strategies for serving online readers. Other McClatchy papers include The Miami Herald, The Sacramento Bee, the (Fort Worth) Star- Telegram, The Kansas City Star, The Charlotte Observer and The (Raleigh) News & Observer.

We offer a competitive pay and benefits package.

It is our intention to quickly fill this job. Please send us an email. In the text of the message, briefly tell us why you should be considered for the job, and also attach a one-page resume and include links to 5-10 of your best clips. Address it to sports editor Kevin Price and email it to leauburnbeat@gmail.com.

The resume must include employment and educational history and the names and phone numbers of at least three references. If you do not want us to contact them until checking with you, make that clear on your resume.
    What's happening to Joel Erickson?

2. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I can vouch for Kevin as good people. I don't know anything about the actual job, but Kevin is a good boss to work for and I'm sure you won't be short of stories to work on, especially with the beginning of football season coming up.

3. Michael Casagrande

Michael Casagrande New Member

I worked with Kevin for the past few years. He's a good guy. Whoever gets this job will be following a few excellent writers who set a high standard.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Working from home sounds nice but I had a gig like once and found I hardly ever had time off.

5. JeffRoper

JeffRoper Guest

Seems they were hiring this same position earlier this year. I wonder if it ever got filled

6. I'm familiar with the Auburn beat. Joel is going to AL.com to collaborate with Charles Goldberg at Auburn.

This Columbus gig is solid. The last few writers in that position moved up to bigger and better things -- David Ching, Andy Bitter and now Joel Erickson. You get plenty of topical latitude. Kevin Price, the SE, is a good guy and won't treat you like an asshole. There is some HS stuff to do, but it's not invasive. This is an Auburn job.

Good luck to all who apply!

7. Dawgpound17

Dawgpound17 Member

College sports rarely gets time off especially in an SEC beat

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Prerequisite: Experience handling coaching changes and inferiority complexes.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Forestry degree considered a plus.

10. Joel A. Erickson

Joel A. Erickson New Member

Now that it's fully official, I can vouch for everything that's been said on the board already.

Kevin Price is a great boss. Easy guy to work for, and he'll call you in on some big stuff, like the SEC Championship game, if need be. As far as the beat goes, it's everything that goes into an SEC beat. You work out of your home, but a lot of the work is done up in the Bunker at the Auburn athletics complex.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

11. friedchicken96

friedchicken96 New Member

Believe offer was made today and position has been filled. Aaron Brenner, a sports writer at the Quad-City Times in Davenport for the past 3 or 4 years and Wisconsin graduate, will take over for Joel.

12. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Brenner's a good guy and a hell of a reporter. Fine pickup for the Ledger-Enquirer.

Draft saved Draft deleted