1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Led Zep to tour, but ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2008.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If Zep wants to insert a new singer, fine with them. The sacred bonds are a bunch of bullshit when it comes to rock anyway.

For instance, the current version of the New York Dolls has only two original members yet is probably sporting the best version of the band now. Don't believe me? Go see 'em.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Available:

[​IMG]

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

I saw the Firm back in 86, great show.
    I'd love to see them do a new CD and tour.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought they were still pretty impressive, but that was about 14 years ago and both were older than dirt then.

I love Led Zeppelin. Probably my favorite band of all-time, but there is no way in hell I'm seeing them without Robert Plant.

Jimmy Page, as evidenced by this and his pairing with Coverdale about 15 years ago, will do anything for money. Plant doesn't need it.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Going to see Daltrey, Townshend et al tonight at the Meadowlands. We have been referring to it as the "Who's left?" tour.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Early but heavy rumor is 38-year old Myles Kennedy from the band Alter Bridge will replace Plant.

For those who don't know, he basically replaced Scott Stapp in the band Creed. They do the theme song for WWE wrestler Edge.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

According to Twisted Sister frontman Dee Snider, Kennedy is strongly rumored to have been selected as the touring vocalist for Led Zeppelin for their upcoming reunion tour, though his contributions with the band have not yet been entirely confirmed. Robert Plant has denied any speculation that he will be participating in the tour, and has mentioned that he will not tour again for another two years. Because of this, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and Jason Bonham have been rehearsing and possibly recording with Kennedy while trying to persuade Plant to join them. Regarding Page, Jones, and Bonham, Snider says:

“ They're saying [to Robert], "We're all rehearsed, we're ready to go. Here's a gazillion dollars on the table. If you don't do it, we're going out with this kid. And he can sing the shit out of Zeppelin." And they're gonna hope that Robert, at the last minute, will go, "Okay," and step in before having the lead singer of Alter Bridge out with John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Jason Bonham. ”

This has fueled speculation that Kennedy will be forming a new band with the members of Led Zeppelin.

7. Mizzougrad96

Will the band be called Velvet Revolver?

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Led Zeppelin’s former promoter has branded the legendary rock band's decision to tour without frontman Robert Plant "pointless".

The Kashmir hitmakers have confirmed they are to embark on a world tour and record a new album without Plant, and are currently seeking a replacement singer.

But Harvey Goldsmith, who promoted the band during their 1970s heyday, as well as their one-off reunion last year, is dubious about trying to resurrect the group without Plant.

He says, "I certainly don't think they should do a big tour because I can't see the point of it. I just think it's a lot of talk, I think it's wishful thinking.

"I think some of the band really want to go out and do it and other parts of the band need to understand why they're doing it, and if there's no compelling reason to do it, then they shouldn't do it. I think that there is an opportunity for them to go out and present themselves. I don't think a long rambling tour is the answer as Led Zeppelin."

Goldsmith insists that if the new tour does go ahead, the rockers are likely to use a different name. He adds, "I doubt it will be called Led Zeppelin."

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/entertainment/Led+Zeppelin-59172.html

9. Mizzougrad96

Pointless - Not desperate enough for money that he feels the need to tour at age 60.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I think it's pretty bad that Plant won't agree to do this "one-time" tour.
    They could hash it out with all the fans, ahead of time, saying this is it. No more after this.

I mean, I was there for The Who's "Farewell Tour". Saw them at Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center in 1983 I think it was.
    Then, they came back more and more and even the other night, at a venue adjacent to the WS game in Philly.

Robert Plant oughta reconsider. And they should only do the tour once.

11. Mizzougrad96

Plant was dragged kicking and screaming to the tour in the 1990s with Page.

While never at the level of his Led Zep days, Plant still had a pretty successful solo career and wasn't stupid with his money like Page.

Page's ultimate sellout was putting out an album and touring with Coverdale.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You don't like the KISS farewell tours that happen every other year?

Draft saved Draft deleted