1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lecturing in journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Leaver?, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Leaver?

Leaver? New Member

I have lots of experience in journalism.
    However, I’ve kept a close eye on developments in the last few months across the industry and I’ve just completed a Masters, as another option.
    My question is, how do I go about getting into lecturing/academia?
    Have any journalists gone down that route?
    Is there much demand?

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Yep, I've gone down that route. I went from a newspaper to an SID gig, and while there, got my master's. Finished my last class and the chairwoman of the department asked if I wanted to teach a beginning reporting class. I did that, and then we moved back to our hometown and I started as an adjunct at my undergrad alma mater. After a year of that, I joined the faculty fulltime. Teaching is a good, good gig. Hours are great, I love working with students and working on a campus is pretty cool. Pay is good, too, but other, more experienced faculty say it's not great. The biggest benefit of working here, however, is the ability for me -- and eventually my kids -- to take classes for free.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What do you consider "A great salary"?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Umm ... one you can live on?

In other words, not a journalist's salary...

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I believe a beginning lecturer salary is the low $40s. Another good thing about the flexibile hours is the ability to freelance. I have one regular publication for which I write, and most months make at least $600 for a couple of articles. I also work with the AP some during basketball season.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That sounds about right.

7. Apex

Apex Member

Not always true. Some lecturers at UNC are making low 20s.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Also, be careful when you get up in the ivory tower. It's made more than a few decent journalists lose their common sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted