1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeCharles Bentley released by Browns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by editorhoo, Jun 12, 2008.

1. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

The AP story left a lot to be desired, but after a little hunting and pecking, this is what I can make of this situation:

Bentley's contract restructured from $6 million this season to $600,000 (estimates). But he has a clause that would pay him, I think, $4 million should he play 14 games. He passed his physical on Monday (maybe to some in the organization's surprise), said Tuesday he would start in the NFL in 2008, whether it was with the Browns or someone else. Wednesday he asks for, and receives, his release.

I was at a recent event where Phil Savage spoke to a crowd and was asked a question about Bentley and Bentley's possible return. His reply was courteous but less than enthusiastic and left me scratching my head, wondering why Savage wouldn't be giddy at the prospect of having one of the best lineman in the game on his team.

Sounds to me as if Mr. Bentley wasn't in the Browns' cap plans at $4 million?

Maybe someone on here close to the team can elaborate.

And I don't know whom I feel more sorry for. 1. Browns fans who'll never get to see him in their colors, or 2. Bentley, being a St. Ignatius Wildcat, Ohio State Buckeye and lifelong Browns fan.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Feel sorry for?
    Poor guy. Hope he's able to feed the family.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sorry, but a guy two years removed from playing football who spent half that time fighting to save his leg is not one of the best linemen in football.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

I don't think there's anyone to "blame" here, just a very unfortunate set of circumstances.

And as mustard said, at collecting more than $16 million the past two years, LeCharles will land quite softly.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Mustard, while I understand the sentiment, you also have to feel a little sympathy for Bentley here: The Browns oversaw operations that put him, as he claims, on his deathbed with staph.

And this isn't a one-time thing for the Browns: Jurevicius is dealing with it, as well.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So, just to make sure I get this:

Guy gets sick. Really sick. Guy gets better. Is healthy enough to play in the NFL. Has made more than $15 million.

Man, I feel AWFUL for that guy. That's one shitty life, for sure. So bad that he recently was quoted as saying: "I feel really blessed. The Lord's been really good to me. There's nothing more I can ask for."

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Cody Risien had a bad brush with staph. Must be that Cleveland lakewater.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually, it's because Got hates Cleveland. [/TSP]

9. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I don't understand your point. You think it's wrong for the guy to be bitter with the Browns, who, as I said, oversaw and performed surgeries that nearly took his life (Bentley's words)?

And he got better under SOMEONE ELSE's watch. Y'know? He got better in Arizona and thanks to the Giants' doctor.

10. chester

chester Member

Actually, I would question the Cleveland Clinic in regards to the staph. That's where all the operations were done which led to the infections.

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

chester:

Agreed. However: That hospital is employed by the Browns in this instance, no?

12. chester

chester Member

True.

Draft saved Draft deleted