1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron's changing his number

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Suicide Squeezer, Nov 14, 2009.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Personally, I like the idea of a particular number going to a star or the best player on the team. For years in the NHL, the number was 9 -- Richard, Howe, Bobby Hull, Andy Bathgate. Johnny Bucyk wore it for the Bruins.
    Now 19 has become the number of the stars -- Trottier with the Islanders, Yzerman with the Wings, Thornton with the Sharks, Sakic with the Avs...I'm sure there are others.
    Retiring a number league wide is dumb...even the Robinson number in baseball. If a kid wanted to wear 42 in tribute to Robinson, or 99 in tribute to Gretzky (or say, Wilf Paiement), he should be allowed to do so. Then, when people ask him about the number, he can say its in memory or in tribute to Robinson/Gretzky/Jordan and the name and the legacy is rekindled again.
    I like the Leaf tradition of honouring numbers rather than out and out retiring them.
    Plus, it slows the ridiculous wearing of football type numbers in hockey. Liked it much better when hockey numbers were 1 to 30. Tony Esposito started wearing 35 and it all went to hell...:)

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

STFU LeBron and win something. Just more self promotion. Stick what you do best LeKing, getting a Hummer from Mom and scoring points in a game.

Jordan doesn't deserve his number retired league wide. If Russell, Wilt, Magic and Bird, then MJ

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Exactly. I knew I left some names off, because the bottom line is retiring 23 opens up a huge can of worms.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm unclear on the concept here.

Michael Jordan hasn't received enough recognition?

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

You are now aware that you'd have to buy a new jersey anyway since he'll be in New York or Miami or somewhere that isn't Cleveland.

6. slytiger

slytiger Member

I wonder if Nike put him up to it? Just think of the commemorative Air Jordan sales.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

Draft saved Draft deleted