1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron's changing his number

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Suicide Squeezer, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4650907

LeBron James is changing his jersey number to 6 and wants everyone else in the NBA wearing No. 23 to follow suit too so Jordan's iconic digits can be properly honored.

James knew damn well what he was getting into when he picked the number coming into the league. My question is, is this a legitimate stand by James or simply just him wanting to be the guy that who years down the road can say it got done because of him ( if, in fact, it is accomplished).

Seems like a ploy simply to sell some more hideous Cavs jerseys, imo. SportsJournalists.com's thoughts?

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I think this is so ridiculous.

Jordan was a great, great basketball player, obviously. But there will be greater players to come along, and it will get to the point where it will become silly to retire the number of each.

Jordan brought the NBA to a whole new level in the late 80s and 90s. But he didn’t save the game – Magic Johnson and Larry Bird did.

Jordan didn’t score the most points ever or win the most championships ever. Those titles belong to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Russell, respectively.

There will never be another Michael Jordan, but there will be greater players.

There were great players before Jordan. There will be great players after Jordan.

If the NBA retires 23, then it should retire 6, 32 and 33 as well.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I hope the remainder of the league's 23s continue wearing their number just to tell King James to stick it up his ass.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LeBron wants his jersey to be No. 1. Changing the number (and hopefully not the team) will do that.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, No. 23 should be sacred, never worn again by anybody, but No. 6 is fair game?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uhhhh... no.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Starman

And 14 (Robertson/Cousy), 13 (Wilt), and 99 (Mikan) -- for starters. 21 (Duncan, the key player on a 4-time champion) is in the running too.

League-wide number retirements are stupid anyway -- it should never occur unless the player is clearly, indisputably, the one most valuable and influential player in the history of the game, which means of course it should never happen.

Personally I do believe Jordan is the greatest player ever, but there are several other credible contenders for that distinction.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Does this mean the NBA would have to retire No. 45, too, for the short time that Jordan wore that? But I agree that it's flat out stupid to have a league-wide number retirement. I can see Jackie Robinson, and to be honest, I can see Gretzky (and Dale Ernhardt), but that's about it.

9. Starman

The Jackie Robinson number retirement was a disingenuous cover-your-ass move by Bud Selig, in a frantic attempt to make up for MLB's lame-ass job in recognizing Robinson from 1947-2005, and a desperate shot to help pump up the sagging number of African-American youths taking up baseball as a career choice.

The Gretzky retirement was absurd. What about #9?

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yeah, I almost had that, too. Ron Harper was great.

11. If the NHL were to retire another number league-wide, it should be Bobby Orr's No. 4 before Gordie. But that's just my opinion.

I feel the only reason why LeBron is doing this is strictly to sell more jerseys. Jordan was a great player, yes, but he took the passing out of the league and turned it into a one-on-one show. And what is he known for now? Gambling and being a prick bastard. Nice to see him, by the way, courtside for that Cavs game. How many hours has he spent in the Bobcats' office so far?

Anyway, I'm still miffed that Jordan was named ESPN's Athlete of the Century. That was a farce.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"There would be no LeBron James, no Kobe Bryant, no Dwyane Wade, you name all the best players in the league right now and the last 10 years, there would be none of us without Michael Jordan."

Some say Jordan had a progenitor or two.

[​IMG]

Yeah . . . based on stature and the things he says, LeBron James is the current league leader in talking out of his ass.

Just validates further the view that the younger generation thinks the pre-ESPN world didn't exist. But it's the type of statement I'd expect from an Ohio native who had a great Indians team to root for as a kid, but saw the Yankees winning it all half a country away and said "Uh . .that's my TEAM!!!!!" then wore the damn hat to a playoff game in his hometown when he became a big star.

Alas, if only the Tribe had pulled it off in 1995 or if Mesa doesn't blow 1997, LeBron would be completely beholden to Ohio.

Draft saved Draft deleted