1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron walking off court?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Nov 8, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No, it's a halo:

[​IMG]

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I agree. He could've at least apologized for what he did. But what can you expect from ESPN. Every single commercial on ESPN is about the guy. There's no way they're going to throw him under the bus.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why are you surprised? When you're the face of a league, you can pretty much do no wrong, unless you lose untold dollars gambling with undesirables *cough* Jordan *cough cough*.

As others have said sarcastically, there will be people excusing this as LeBron's competitive nature coming thru. Sans the irony, of course.

I'm going to presume, however, that Chuck criticizing ESPN for not calling LeBron out on this IS indeed based in irony.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Al4TyckA9IqIHPjtdrXaarq8vLYF?slug=ap-cavaliers-lebronslate-gamewalk&prov=ap&type=lgns

James was widely criticized on sports talk radio and by TV pundits for leaving the floor in the final seconds Tuesday night in a 104-95 overtime loss to Atlanta. After missing a 3-pointer with 15 seconds left, he began walking off the floor toward Cleveland's locker room while the Hawks dribbled out the clock.

James stopped near the baseline by Cleveland's bench and watched until the final horn sounded.

He was first condemned by Atlanta's radio team and their call was picked up by some national broadcast outlets on Wednesday. Later, James was being compared to wide receiver Randy Moss, who left the field before a game was over for Minnesota.

James, who has been under a public microscope since he was 16, doesn't think he did anything unusual.

"It's not like I walked off the court and came to the locker room while there was still time left on the clock," he said before Thursday's game against Chicago. "I stood on the court the whole time, until the buzzer's end, I even said something to (Hawks forward) Joe Johnson on his way out.

"It was kind of frustrating for us to lose that game, but as far as quitting on my team or anything like that, it's crazy. If we would have won the game, it would have never been mentioned. Say if we was winning the game and I did the same thing. Would it have been mentioned? I don't think so."

5. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Randee Moss only plays for God and his momma.

EDIT: That makes him God's Wide Receiver.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

If Rasheed did it, it wouldn't be news.

The fact that it was LeBron is news.

Aside from possibly Tim Duncan, I can't think of a classier player in the NBA right now than LeBron.

As Ron Simmons would say, Damn. ???

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

OK what does LeBron do that's classy? He handles himself well, doesn't do stupid shit and shows up and plays the game very well. He's like 100,000,000 people who go to work everyday in this country. Except he gets paid more in a day than the entire 3rd shift at a GM plant.
    What's so classy about that? As Chris Rock said "Wanna a cookie?"

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I said classy NBA PLAYER.

I didn't say my garbageman wasn't classy! :D

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Like Kornheiser's been saying on PTI, "Does LeBron have a character in those Nike ads that just walks off the court?"

11. Chuck~Taylor

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, when you're the type of marketer David Stern - not a good commish, but a good marketer - you have to let some things do, you know. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted