1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron to Greece in 2010?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GBNF, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

My bad. I read it wrong.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It'd be lede story for every paper on Earth!

I think it'd merit lede sports story at any paper that has any kind of national sports coverage at the very least. I'm sure some local-local papers would even find a way to incorporate a story or two about LeBron, even if it's just to get local reax.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can hear the calls now...
    Angry Dipshit Parent: Why did you put the LeBron James story on the front page? Didn't you know we had a 9th-grade basketball game at Podunk High last night? LeBron James isn't buying your paper, we are! We want to read about stuff that happens here in Podunk!
    Sensible Sports Editor: Ummm...LeBron is the biggest basketball star in the country, ma'am. People want to know why he's not playing in the NBA this season. You might even want to know why your child is asking you to buy him a weird-looking Greek jersey instead of a Cavaliers jersey.
    ADP: These kids work hard, though. They're out there two hours a day after school, every day! They work just as hard as LeBron! They deserve coverage in OUR local paper!
    SSE: ..... (flabbergasted silence)
    ADP: Do I need to talk to your boss!?
    SSE: (Stifling giggles) Thank you for reading, ma'am. I'll connect you right away.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Co-signed.

They wore the white and royal blue retro unis a couple years ago and they were frickin' SWEET.

The oranges would be insane.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If he did even entertain the thought, the guy who once said he wanted to be "a global brand" would accomplish exactly that.

And lose any possible standing he would seek among the all-time greats of the game.

Danny Ferry didn't want to be a Clipper, so he went overseas. Some would say Dominique Wilkins was still an effective scorer in the NBA, even if he lost a step, when he went overseas.

And the floodgates did not open. Brandon Jennings and Josh Childress will not change that, nor will all the money in the world.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

One dynamic that might make the latest round of defections different than Ferry and 'Nique is the exquisite crappiness of the dollar next to the euro. European teams not only can pay more, they can do so in currency worth more. I know it's already keeping some of the next wave of European stars from coming to the U.S. -- I wonder how long it is until vice versa happens.

I mean Carlos Delfino, after signing with a team in Russia this months, makes substantially more than Manu Ginobili does with the Spurs. And Delfino, frankly, couldn't carry Ginobili's jock.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't think Nike would ever encourage its No. 1 basketball star to sign with Greece, where no one in the states would see him play, nor care to see him play. I know Nike wants him to be an international name, but Team USA and the NBA -- not signing with Greece -- is the way to do it.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

This would make no sense for LeBron. Sure the Greeks might be able to offer a bigger base salary, but he would lose so much more than that in endorsements. As Oz said, he's much more valuable in the US than Europe.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And Kobe Bryant adds to this utter BS:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news?slug=aw-kobeeuropenewser080908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Sigh.

Enough of this, media puppets. No top player will play in Europe while he still has something left. I don't care if the offer includes a lifetime Eurail pass, Laetitia Casta, Melissa Theurieu, Heidi Klum and Gisele Budchen.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I disagree.

I think we'll see a mid-range NBA star in Europe for a year or two sometime in the next few years. I don't think a LeBron or Kobe will go, but maybe a player like a Michael Redd - an underrated superstar who could become the face of NBA global expansion.
    Redd wouldn't go himself, but I could see a player on the verge of stardom going for two years.

And if Kobe wins a couple NBA championships in the next few years, it wouldn't surprise me to see him jump ship for a year. Remember, he's had just a little overseas experience with his dad...

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Guys playing in Europe... reminds me of when me, or someone else talks about how cool it would be to live on an island.

Would not be cool.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It will happen with a good player who doesn't have a lot of endorsements to lose, so he would actually gain money by being offered more than a max deal an NBA team can offer.

Draft saved Draft deleted