1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron says he will consider extension with Cavs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2008.

1. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Don't tell New York people that, Lebron's choice of cereal is usually a sign he's leaving Cleveland.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

OK, to be more accurate, why hasn't he agreed to an extension yet? He has nothing to gain monetarily by letting this drama go on, and he could put an end to it right now simply by agreeing in principle to an extension and saying he intends to stay in Cleveland. But he won't do that. Doesn't mean he's definitely leaving, but that's the way I'd bet.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Could be wrong, but I beleive he is not allowed to sign an extension until this summer.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because the NBA dictates at what times of the year extenstions may be signed.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Try again. There is nothing precluding LeBron from agreeing to an extension or announcing his plans to sign one at the earliest opportunity.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Which is next summer, when the NBA allows.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Still incorrect. Try again.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-XI.php

9. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

If he can't agree this year to go sign there after his contract is up, then he probably can't agree to sign an extension six months before he's allowed to do so.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I honestly don’t see LeBron jumping out of Cleveland. The fans there would revolt against him. I’m guessing that he’s going to wait until the last minute because he wants to see that the Cavs will make a legitimate effort to improve the club.

He’s taking a look around the league to see where teams stand and what pieces they need. He’s looking at Cleveland to see what they need.

I remember a few years ago when Jason Kidd held the Nets hostage and said that they had to sign Alonzo Mourning. Mourning, at the time, was just getting over his kidney issue and was never really able to play for the Nets. Sure enough, it didn’t matter. Kidd was determined to force the Nets hand in order to re-sign.

While I would like to believe that LeBron is a smarter guy than Kidd in spotting talent, I think the situation is going to be about the same. LeBron will ultimately stay, but he’ll want some assurance that he isn’t going to get locked into a long-term deal on a team that is going to suck.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

"I can't see myself leaving Cleveland. It's my home, we have a chance to win championships here, and by the way, they can offer me a bigger deal than any other team. I have no plans to go play anywhere else."

That's all LeBron would have to say. There is nothing in the CBA stopping him from saying it. But he won't quite say it, will he? When Kobe's opt-out was coming up a couple of years ago, you didn't see teams racing to get under the cap to have a chance to sign him the way they are with LeBron, because Kobe let it be known that he wasn't leaving LA. That's why the Clippers were the only team to make a run at him. LeBron won't do the same thing, probably because he's quite serious about the possibility of leaving. It's why he didn't sign a max-length deal with the Cavs in the first place.

12. TheSportsPredictor

Uh huh. Worked for Jim Thome.

"I've never thought about being traded. I've always felt it was my responsibility to do the best I can for this club. I've been here a long time and I'd like to finish my career here."

-- Jim Thome in June 2002

"I want to stay in Cleveland. It's home. I'd love to come back here next year and not have to answer these question . . . but sometimes business things happen."

-- Jim Thome in March 2002

Draft saved Draft deleted