1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron says he will consider extension with Cavs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

No kidding. There were Timberwolves season tickets available for like 300 bucks for the whole season. The NBA's not the league that's started the PSL's, if you want to talk about people being priced out.

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

That's your opinion. How famous is David Lee? One of the league's best young posts, but never talked about.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Ok, we just disagree then. I don't think LeBron is nearly as familiar to the non-sports fan as Jordan was. As for Chicago not being NY, come on, as a major media market it's a lot more similar to NY than it is to Cleveland. Obviously LBJ will be a huge star wherever he plays, but to say playing in NY will have no effect just isn't true. If market makes no difference, why did Shaq leave Orlando for LA, for instance? LBJ is a big star, but all else being equal, he'll be a bigger star in NY.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

David Lee? How did we get from LeBron James to David Lee? We're talking about superstars, not nice young role players.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm a sportsjournalist and that means I am in the lowest tier of paid workers and I had no trouble affording tickets to two Celtics games this season ($30 per game). I'd say the tickets are reasonably priced, more so than baseball and football that's for sure.

6. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

It costs $40 a pop to go to a preseason football game. Not to mention the parking is usually the worst priced as well. I went to an NBA playoff for like $20 once. Compartively that's ridiculous, especially considering that there are usually about 35,000 bad seats in an NFL stadium, and maybe 2,000 of them in an NBA arena.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

New York needs LeBron a lot more than he needs the Knicks.

In this day and age when every game is televised, you don't have to play in New York to get exposure and endorsement deals. LeBron's an Ohio guy. Imagine the hero worship level if he leads Cleveland to a championship... which isn't out of the realm of possibility in the next couple of seasons.

The Knicks are horrible. I just don't see the incentive for him to sign with them. Cleveland will cough up the dough.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I think it's much more likely that LeBron will leave. If he were going to stay in Cleveland, why wouldn't he have signed an extension already? It's not like this is some negotiating ploy to get more money out of the Cavs, because he knows they're going to offer him the max contract no matter what, and he knows that because he's their free agent, no other team can offer him as much as the Cavs can. So the fact that he's still entertaining the possibility of leaving means that the salary isn't the only factor he's thinking about, which is bad news for Cleveland.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'll click my heels three times and pinch both my nipples real, real hard next time me or anyone i know gives two fucking shits about the nba during football season.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Great. You do that.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you have something to say broadway? get it off your chest.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

NBA rules dictate at what times contracts can be signed.

Draft saved Draft deleted