1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron says he will consider extension with Cavs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

He says he could sign it next summer.

New York Knicks fans and officials wept. :D ;D 8)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081221/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_lebron_james_free_agent_1

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

appeasing the Cleveland fans I would think

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Give credit to the guy who got the quote:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2008/12/lebron_james_tells_the_pds_bri.html

Unless LeBron wants Yankees season tickets, there's no reason for him to go to New York.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'd consider an extension with Cleveland too for $202 million per season.

We all know that the only way the Cavs lock up James long-term is to pay him more than anyone has ever gotten and unless they're willing to pony up a ridiculous amount of money, I just don't see him staying.

Is it the best move? No doubt. James has a chance to do long-term for the Cavs, a once pathetic franchise, what Jordan did for the Bulls. Would Michael have made a ton in NY? Sure. But he was/is a mainstay of Chicago much in the way James can be in Cleveland and that kind of image ultimately pays off. In NY, James would just be another superstar in a city full of them. Oh, and the Knicks suck ass.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

First of all, there's a maximum contract in terms of $$ and years that the Cavs can offer. This isn't like the Teixiera sweepstakes in baseball. Also, LeBron would be crazy to sign an extension early unless he's just sick of thinking about it, which doesn't seem to be the case. He probably just felt the need to calm the Cleveland fans and media down a little. I'm betting he'll wait and see how things look in 2010 before he does anything.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm well aware of the maximum contract. I'm just saying that the Cavs would have to pay him so much that he somehow doesn't have another choice but to sign.

I agree with you on the pandering to the locals aspect. I just can't wait until the time for him to sign an extension comes up and he says: "I just want to do what's best for my family and hold off until the season's over."

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

What exactly is his incentive to play in New York?

The guy is already a massive star and it's questionable whether he can get any bigger.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Drama Queen wants even more attention.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I thought Ben Roethlisberger was THE Ohio-born drama queen.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Still don't know what you mean. It's not like the Cavs can blow everybody else's offer out of the water. They'll be able to offer James a six-year deal at around $20 million per. Other teams can offer no more than a five-year deal, I believe, at a little less per year. So the Cavs can exceed everyone else's offer, but only by a certain, fixed amount. It's not in their power to offer LeBron so much that it would be a no-brainer for him to stay.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Charles Barkley was right.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I definitely don't see him signing before 2010. And I've changed my mind about thinking he'd be crazy to leave a potential title team for a horrible one. Two years ago the Celtics lost 18 straight games and the franchise was pathetic. Now...look what a couple of big personnel moves did.

So if LeBron goes to New York and they sign one of the other big 2010 free agents, why couldn't the Knicks do what the Celtics have done? And if LeBron would go there, I'd think the Knicks would become an atractive place for some veterans; guys who might not be superstars but are always on title teams (the Poseys, Horrys of the world). Put LeBron on the current Knicks team and they'd probably be, what, the third-best team in the East? Pair him with another star and they're probably at the top.

Draft saved Draft deleted