1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron on the cover of Vogue - controversy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I see nothing wrong with this.

LeBron was a big guy coming out of high school. I couldn't believe he was his age when he entered the NBA. Dwight Howard as well. I think Howard is far more muscular than James, but LeBron is the superstar.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they superimposed the Empire State building in the background and had him swatting biplanes instead of dribbling a basketball while carrying fair Giselle, I'd really have a problem.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That cover shot is soooooooooooo photoshopped.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Apparently the punchline of that old racist joke about how to keep five black guys "away" from a white woman isn't true ... ;)

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I can see how it evokes imagry of Kong and Ann Darrow. That was actually the first thing I thought of. Of course, I always loved King Kong and thought of Kong as a sympathetic figure, so in my view it's a compliment. 8)

From an art perspective, the photo that ran is a much more dynamic photo than the alternate shot that website thinks is the less offensive shot.

I don't know ... it doesn't bother me, but then again, as a white guy, I've never been compared (in looks and intelligence) to a gorilla the way many black people and their parents have been.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Let me add that LeBron, the black man in question, doesn't seem to have a problem with it, so why should anyone else? He obviously didn't feel like he was being made to look like a savage or a gorilla.

There have been much more inflammatory depictions -- the Barkley cover on SI springs to mind (which was, of course, supposed to be provocative) -- that I thought were much ado about nothing, too.

7. Rumpleforeskin

I think a more controversial thing was SLAM (?) airbrushing the tattoos off Allen Iverson.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That was my first thought. That's the only thing I find offensive here.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Rumple,

That was "Hoop", the NBA's house organ.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Ah, I knew it was one of them. But still, they should have left him in his natural tattooed state.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I enjoy your mind.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Somehow, I think if the man was white and the woman black, of two were opposite, there would be a much louder racist cry.

Draft saved Draft deleted