1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron on the cover of Vogue - controversy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Saw this on the opening page of JJobs.com.
    Thought it was intersting... Is there a controversy?
    Some are charging the cover is a stereotypical depiction of a black man as a savage and a (white) woman as a prize (so I guess we could also throw in the objectification of women as a sex objects as well).

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2008/03/vogue-lebron-james-african-americans.php

The cover

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

My thought is that I would like to be Tom Brady for about eight seconds.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Bron Bron is getting thick.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My first thought is either Gisele is extremely tall, or LeBron is hunched over while dribbling. LeBron is 6-8.

I didn't think of any other significance to the cover shoot. Mainly because I've moved on from that stereotype. I thought society largely had, too.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have viewed it like myself, but I can understand the argument. Interesting.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Some really have nothing better to do.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think I read that Gisele is 5-11, but more importantly, how much does she weigh?

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I noticed that on a wwl highlight the other day.

And if I had Gisele that close to me, I'd probably look savage, too.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anybody charging that is just looking for a reason to be offended and needs to fuck the hell off like right now.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

People who think that probably also found the movie version of "Jesus Christ Superstar" racist because Judas was played by a black man (who continued to play Judas in the stage version up until his death a few years ago).

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Secrets of the best bodies with the two of them standing close to each other. Sorry...don't see any controversy here.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I think if people saw what some scientists believe Jesus REALLY looked like, they'd be shocked.

Draft saved Draft deleted