1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lebron Not Ready for Prime Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For a guy who fashions himself as a king he certainly did not look regal as he shuffled into the Boys club of Greenwich the other night.

All the true great ones carry themselves with great dignity. The big timers always stand out in their dress,charisma and security.

Lebron has none of that. He came off more like Commodus the insecure Emperor of the Roman empire and Gladiator fame.

Lebron wants to be king but he cannot walk the walk.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Boom, my son said something interesting last night about James. "I used to say, wow, that guy's just my age," he said. "Now I see there's another side to that, too."

3. Boom_70

The two phrases that perfectly sum up the aftermath of "the free agent season are "Pyric Victory" and "Hoisted on his own petard."

In seeing the post decision interviews non of the big 3 seem real happy.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

You are absolutely right, Boom.

LeBron has permanently tarnished his image with this debacle. Even if he does win a title or two or three with the Heat, the memory of how it came about will lessen the shine.

I spoke to my son earlier, who plays middle school basketball. I got him a LeBron jersey for Christmas last year, because King James was his favorite player.

Emphasis on the "was." He's not planning on wearing the jersey again. *cue Price is Right fail horn* That was a good investment of $99.95. :(

And yeah, it's definitely a Pyrrhic victory.

5. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

This whole thing was one of the worst marketing calculations in sports history. This will be taught in class one day.

LeBron speaks openly about wanting to be a "global icon" and a "brand." His brand is now shit, he's now a symbol of infamy in his hometown, the site of his greatest career achievements, and all for what? To pretend he's back at St. Vincent-St. Mary's and relive the good ol' days with his superstar buddies?

Three days later, I'm still flabbergasted.

Certainly seems like it.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Oh, look, another Lebron James thread. Yipee!

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Some people's thoughts are *so* important, they can't be buried in with the other threads.

8. Boom_70

Dickstain - thanks for the compliment but I don't feel my thoughts are above anyone else's on here. In fact in most cases my thoughts are well below the SJ masses.

In this case I just thought it was a different angle to Lebron that felt it deserved it's own thread.

If worthy of further discussion it will stay on page one. If not it will die a slow death and fade to the SJ isle of bad threads.

9. The Decision was the closest thing ESPN will ever get to a snuff film.

Lebron will go to Miami but first he will blow me.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Maybe a Lebron board is in order.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How hard is it to ignore a thread you're not interested in?

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

LeBron still trails soccer in number of threads.

Draft saved Draft deleted