1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lebron James

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bjot, May 14, 2010.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not the same thing at all.

TSP referenced the gambling/suspension thing as if it was fact, when it is actually nothing but the product of some conspiracy theorist rumormongering.

I did not suggest that West rumors were true, I have no clue if they are or not. But I was curious what that line in the Wilbon piece was referring to. I've heard of no other locker room issues between Lebron and another teammate, except for the recent West rumors. And I'd be surprised if Wilbon would've tossed that line into his column based on nothing more than some obscure blog post.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Both based on rumors, so it isn't really that different.

Plenty of people also seem to be writing that James quit on his team without any real evidence. There is a pretty damn big stretch from not playing well to quitting on the team. Those accusations are no more legit than the "gambling suspension" or the "rape."

But hey, it's an accusation against a sports star, so let's go with it, facts be damned.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying constantly throw out unfounded accusations against sports stars, Stoney. I'm just fed up with how many people do that in general.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Relax, dude. It's not like LeBron is a Pittsburgh sports star.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Kevin Costner begs to differ.

5. outofplace

I know. You might get the idea that my ideals are the same no matter who is involved.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No, it is completely different. One statement falsely presented rumor as truth, the other did not. Sorry that you can't see that rather obvious distinction.

And I don't believe I ever claimed that Lebron did "quit on his team", so what that has to do with my post I have no clue.

However, to say there's "no evidence" to support that theory also ain't quite true. There certainly was some visual circumstantial evidence in Game 5. Lebron did not just play poorly in Game 5, he looked completely zoned out and didn't give anything close to his normal effort. I don't know what was going on in his head that night, but I've never seen him look that passive and out of it in any other game in his seven year career. I don't know if it was because he quit or some other problem, but it was not just a normal bad game.

7. outofplace

Actually, TSP was bringing up accusations leveled against other NBA stars. There are reasons to believe the ones he tossed out there as well, but the evidence isn't nearly enough to present any of them as fact. I'm sorry if that was too complicated for you to understand.

Sorry, your "evidence" does not hold up as enough to say the guy quit on his team. But just like accusations against Bryant, Jordan and many other sports stars, people will toss it out there anyway.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Very good point.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Celtics did add three HOF players, plus, Rondo was starting to come into his own.

10. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

It is a great point when emphasizing the night-and-day aspect of pro sports today, but every single time that the "record turnaround" was brought up during the 07-08 season (not that the original poster was getting at this, but his point reminded me of it) I wish it was also noted that the 06-07 Celtics tanked games left and right.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Wilbon is spot on. Clearly LeBron does not prioritize winning and only cares about his own stats, numbers and glory. Who the hell would slap hands with fans in an opposing area following a loss in an elimination game? Such a freakin' slap in the face to the Cavs.

And yes, LeBron did quit. You could tell by mannerisms, attitude, and the most glaring, his play. The league and its fans idolize an arrogant, self-indulgent superstar talent who couldn't care less about winning and cares the world about his brand, name and image.

12. outofplace

Wonderful. More mind readers. I didn't realize we had so many telepaths on this board.

Draft saved Draft deleted