1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron James wins fourth MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, May 5, 2013.

1. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

[​IMG]

I was thinking more along the lines of this, but I like where your head's at.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

When it comes to the MVP vote, I'm not sure you can. Should a guy get credit for being older and having played a lot of minutes?

His impact on the game is what should matter. Kobe was a great offensive player on a good offensive team, and a horrible defensive player on a bad defensive team. He had a big impact on both. When you compare him to the rest of the players in the discussion for MVP, his resume simply doesn't hold up.

3. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

When it comes to the MVP vote, I'm not sure you can. Or, at least, I wouldn't. Should a guy get credit for being older and having played a lot of minutes? I don't think so.

His impact on the game is what should matter. Kobe was a great offensive player on a good offensive team, and a horrible defensive player on a bad defensive team. He had a big impact on both. When you compare him to the rest of the players in the discussion for MVP, his resume simply doesn't hold up.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I can see why Lebron is the MVP but when the game is on the line it's Wade who says
    I got this and carries the team on his back. Lebron close but not there yet as
    that type of player.

5. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points:

LeBron: 38.7 points per 48 minutes
    Wade: 26.0 points per 48 minutes

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

2006 called and said, "We're closed, dammit! Somebody get this Boom guy back into the present."

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Wasn't there someone who said years ago that pitchers shouldn't win MVP because a position player can't win the Cy Young?

On a basketball note, LeBron was unreal this season. Carmelo had a great year also but no one came close to doing what LeBron did. He has elevated himself to a whole different level than every other player in the league.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's some good trolling right there Devil.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have a lot of admiration for what Bryant did this year. The rest of the team went to hell, the alleged star center was next to nothing, and he performed to the limit of his abilities for a prolonged period of time to keep the Lakers in playoff contention. That's true value in the MVP sense of the word.
    But James is widely acknowledged as the league's best player and this was widely acknowledged as the best season of his career. Hard to say he's not MVP given those two assessments.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Many people have said that. Pitchers can't (well, I suppose in the NL they technically could) win the Hank Aaron Award.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not only did LeBron have a ridiculous offensive season, but you could have easily argued he deserved defensive POY this year as well.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I have never heard anyone describe Kobe as awful on defense. I didn't see a whole lot of Lakers games this season but I bet Kobe "awful" on D is still better than Carmelo at his best.

Draft saved Draft deleted