1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron James wins fourth MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, May 5, 2013.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/LeBron-James-wins-4th-MVP-award-050513

Should not come to any surprise to anyone.

2. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

Should have been unanimous

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Who voted for Anthony?

Also I saw another note that five voters left Durant off their five-man MVP ballot.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Those five should lose their vote.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The same thing happened the year Shaq won it. It should have been unanimous, but one person voted for Iverson.

I thought they said there has never been a unanimous winner. That's amazing that all those years Jordan won it was never unanimous.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gary Washburn of Boston Globe voted for Anthony. Wrote column today defending vote, not a bad defense, either. Sorry, no link I am at work computer.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Haven't read the column. I don't have a problem with Carmelo getting that vote.

Yes, LeBron is the best player on the planet but we always get into the debate of "Most Valuable".

And let's throw away the whole " ... it's called playing in the East" because LeBron plays in the East.

LeBron has become Jordan/Magic/Bird/Kareem/Isiah/Shaq. It's been pretty cool to see him put the mental with the physical and spiritual and whatever else. When the time comes we'll have that "Best Ever?" discussion. Right now he's the greatest player on the planet.

But you know what: Carmelo probably was More Valuable.

This was his best season for the Knicks, who had 12 fewer wins than the Heat. But the Knicks *do* play in and won a much tougher division. The 3-4-5 teams of the Atlantic had 109 wins and Boston made the playoffs, whereas the Wizards, Bobcats and Magic of the Southeast had 70 wins (none made the playoffs). So if we're going to use strength of schedule as a variable, Carmelo had a tougher path.

But I have no problem if that variable isn't used in the discussion.

What if the Heat didn't have LeBron and the Knicks didn't have Carmelo for an extended period of time? Who wins more games? Dwyane Wade carries the Heat. He carried the Heat before LeBron showed up. Won a title, too. Who carries the Knicks in Carmelo's absence? Jason Kidd? J.R. Smith? Terry Shumpert?

But maybe that's not a valid variable either. I'm not sure we ever really know what the variables are. I'm leaving points, rebounds, assist, blocks, steals, whatever, out of the equation because hey, Durant was 0.6 points away from winning his 4th straight scoring title -- won by Carmelo.

That all said, if we we're talking Most Valuable, the truest answer is probably Kobe Bryant: Lakers go 7-75 without him pulling that scrapheap of shit for 48 minutes every night. It's not fucking wonder his Achilles' tore in half.

Anyway, if we're giving the trophy to the Best Player it's LeBron -- and there's not even a second place.

But Carmelo was More Valuable than the Best Player.

Here's Washburn's column, which I haven't read yet:

http://b.globe.com/ZzPr4r

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Anthony played 67 games, it's not a hypothetical.

And I know the Knicks are desperate for a second scorer, but probably not this desperate:

[​IMG]

9. Songbird

Iman. Iman.

IMAN!

10. Songbird

His Batting Average on Baskets In Play was better than Punto's will ever be.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate the overinterpretation of the word valuable. I want the best player to win.

Obviously, if you take Anthony away from the Knicks, it's going to hurt more than if you took James away from the Heat, but I'm not going to blame James because he has a better supporting cast.

I think Durant is the guy who, if you took him away from his team, the team would just immediately go into the shitter...

LeBron is the best player. I'm glad he won.

12. Songbird

Thunder are loaded, and Westbrook could easily put in 30-35-40 a night in Durant's absence with the other pieces doing their things.

And yeah, I agree, I'd rather just have the Best Player in Basketball award. Makes it pretty cut and dry.

LeBron is the Best Player.

Draft saved Draft deleted