1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron James on John Amaechi

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 9, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That sounds like it fits in with some of the comments in Penn State reaction story.

Of course, it doesn't allow Junkie to call Amaechi a liar, so he won't like this line of thinking.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Here are my thoughts:

1. I have not read a single story about this former player coming out of the closet. Not one, nor will I. It's no protest, I'm not resisting any urge. I just don't think it's a big deal whatsoever.

2. I think LeBron was attempting to show his acceptance of gays and how he wants to know and accept a teammate's decision. It didn't come out right.

3. Still, what he did say is a lot better than, "Man, I don't want no homos sharing showers with me."

4. The fact that this is a huge story shows how uncomfortable society continues to be in regards to homosexuality. I'm tellin you, it's not a big freakin' deal.

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

there were at least whisperings about it, at least according to amaechi (who supposedly writes that jerry sloan called him a gay something or another). so even if amaechi was never asked, people still apparently wondered. (i'm certainly not saying he was obligated to comment on rumor and innuendo--just pointing out that the issue was raised).

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

he is not entitled to anything but the sj equivalent of a bar mitzphah for coming out

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I don't think you should use that word. It's very bad to say that in reference to an African-American. Smarten up!

6. There's nothing about "honesty" in this story.
    He's not affirmatively obligated to tell people he's gay.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm getting a very sick and tired of this complete bullshit about cutting multimillionare "kids" at 22 years old and the stupid things they say a break. There are tens of thousands of younger people than LeBron, who didn't have his privleged background his untold riches, his lifestyle of materialism without resposnibility who are making life and death decsions and being held responsible for them every day. From my friend Roberto, the 19 year old guy at the Juffy Lube with his 17 year old g/f and child, to the soldiers in Afganistan and Iraq. Plently of people are responsible and accountable for the things they say and do. And If James can't articulate an opinion without sounding like an ignorant fool or a bigoted asshole, then fuck James. And fuck those that cover up for him by calling him a kid. If he wanted to be educated he could do that. He's rich enough and powerful enough to hire college professors from all over the country to travel with him and teach him. His ignorance is his own choice.

You want to cut some kids slack, how about the illiterate non english speaking 16-20 year olds trying to sneak into this country with only the hope of a better life, not intellectual midgets like L'Bron James.

8. chester

chester Member

Not defending him for what he said, but exactly what "privileged background" are you talking about? You mean the house in the projects, a mom who was about as big an embarassment as there was and some criminal posing as his "father". I can't believe more people wouldn't want that kind of "Privileged background".

Did he come off sounding stupid in what he said about Amaechi? Somewhat. Is his age an excuse? No. Is it really that big of a freaking deal? Absolutely not.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Like the difference between speaking something untrue or a lie of omission? You were the one insisting he did and said things to cover up his sexuality, even though there is no evidence whatsoever that hedid those things. That would be lying on Amaechi's part if he did that.

But hey, if you want to resort to cursing and name-calling over semantics, go for it.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

See also: Jackie Robinson.

11. Point of Order

Of course you would have to put the comparison I made into proper context to understand.

To recap. . .

We, as media, make a huge deal about the first black player in MLB. We lead newscasts with it, write stories and columns about it, like an alien has landed in professional sports.

Yet when asked to comment on the situation, and an athlete says something other than "It's no big deal," we make a big deal out of that.

If it isn't a big deal, than why are we covering it?

Junkie, when you take my words out of context it might sound like a clever quip, but it's intellectually dishonest of you. I think you feelings about Amaechi are clear, however.

12. Point of Order

Using Jackie Robinson in the way I did, with specific context in response to Blog is my co-pilot's post, was totally appropriate. I'll take your words at face value on your feeling that Amaechi is a coward until you give us the "write" answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted