1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron James on John Amaechi

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember four years ago when the war had first started on the eve of the NCAA Tournament and some journalists were asking players what they thought about the war and playing the tournament as the country was headed to war.

Some of the kids made very ignorant comments like. "Well, we have a war of our own Thursday night agaist Valparaiso..."

I thought it was a very unfair question to ask a college kid.

I feel similarly about this one, even with NBA players. Most are not social commentators. You want to ask this of Barkley or maybe even a Grant Hill? Fine... But, the reporters are fishing for the salacious (I won't play with any fag...) comments, which I think is unfair...

2. F_B, the use of the word "admit" is unfortunate, but, in my opinion, not sinister. I think he used it as a synonym of "reveal."

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I didn't have a major problem with what LeBron said, even if he didn't necessarily articulate it all that well.
    Comparing him to Grant Hill is so unfair. How old is Hill, and how much more life experience does he have?

If I read it right, his take on the locker room is that it's a private place for the players, presumably where he thinks they can let it all hang out without the media and others around. A place that's not supposed to have any secrets.

His issue with a teammate being gay and not telling anyone is that it's a big, fat lie, a big elephant in the room. And that he'd be more pissed with the fact that he wasn't (to coin a phrase) "straight" about it from the get-go than with the fact that he was gay.

At least, that's how I read it, between the lines.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The worst part of the "shower" problem is the huge assumption that just because a guy is attracted to other guys he's going to be checking out other guys. Get over yourself, they are attracted to those who share the same wiring. Its no different than the Lisa Olsen issue which apparently has not killed professional sports in the past 20 years (?).

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I read LeBron's statement's as being a condemnation of a player remaining closeted and not telling his teammates (at least) about his orientation, not as a "I can't work with a gay man" sort of thing.

And has been mentioned, the guy's 22. We all said things that made us sound like asshats when we were that age.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Pringle, LeBron could have made it easy on himself. Say "no comment." But since that is never good enough for the masses who want to know what these guys think, athletes have to say something. 99% of the time it makes them look like they took a class in "how to say something that is best said not saying at all."

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

It's true LeBron is 22 and has had little experiences dealing with life, aside from growing up poor and becoming a pawn for shoe companies at 16 and having a kid at 20, but let's be honest, you don't need to be 26 or 27 to be able to empathize with people different from you. How about those high school kids Reilly wrote about a few years ago that championed their gay football team captain?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, but "admit" has a very different meaning in this context.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Careful. That limb you went out on is very likely to snap. Everything I ever heard about Amaechi leads me to believe he did not do those things. You are just assuming he went out of his way to cover his sexual preference. In other words, you are speaking out the wrong end of your anatomy.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

First of all, you're assuming I'm a hot enough male to warrant looks. I wouldn't go there.

And I usually ask for a waitress. LOL. Seriously, I prefer the cafeteria and buffet food joints. Saves on tip money too.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

This would work: "I honestly don't have an opinion on the subject. I've never thought about it."

It comes off way better than "no comment" or talking out of your ass because you feel obligated.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Apples and oranges. The war is something that requires the players to be "social commentators" because it's looking for their opinion on a topic that they don't have any inside perspective on.

With this issue, your asking players how they'd handle having an openly gay teammate. They do have a valid opinion and it's relevant because when the former player comes out it makes people wonder how they'd be treated if they were open while playing, since that hasn't been done in a major men's team sport (as far as I know).
    Reporters probably are looking for that one quote, like Randolph's, but I don't think it's any more unfair than when they ask a question about a coach or another player who isn't doing well or something like that and are looking for the player to give them some incendiary quote.

Draft saved Draft deleted