1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron James and Darfur

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, May 25, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I know he's a basketball player and everything, but I'm still a little shaky about this. LeBron James is not your average basketball player. The guy is a business man. He has a number of endorsement deals and his name is very popular all around the world and he's said many times that he wants to become a billionaire. This guy didn't take basket weaving 101 during high school(dont' remember his gpa, but it was pretty good). He's an intelligent guy. So I'm pretty sure he knows where Darfur is.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

This story ran in the Plain Dealer, along with a lot of other outlets. David Aldridge did a column on it in Philly.

I don't blame LeBron, and yes I very much doubt he knew even the slightest about Darfur and I'd bet a year's salary he had no idea it was in the Sudan, for not immediately signing off. He has a lot more to worry about, as far as relations with the Chinese and business concerns thanks to Nike, than the average Cav. He has set himself up as this budding "global icon" so he has to check with his people before he does anything that would be considered newsworthy. I give credit at least for him not giving us the "Chinese buy sneakers too" line, a la MJ. Good for Newble for doing this, though.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Good for LeBron. If you don't know shit about the topic, don't sign it.

I think it's great that Ira Newble is aware enough and active enough to draft the letter, but seriously, if you don't have the slightest idea what it's about it's hollow and meaningless to sign on.

And since I seriously doubt that LeBron has ever heard of Darfur, it seems utterly chickenshit to accuse him of protecting his business interests in China.

Draft saved Draft deleted