1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron dropping a hint?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by broadway joe, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I am a conspiracy theorist. I freely admit that.

I also know for a fact that a national magazine had a story ready to go about the 2002 NBA western conference finals being fixed before the Donaghy admission came out and the story was killed.

I'm definitely not the only person who thinks Game 6 of that series was fixed and I'm definitely not the only person who thinks the 1985 lottery was fixed.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

no but you seem to be the only person who thinks EVERYTHING is fixed.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting to see how much Earl Morrall got paid for Super Bowl III.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The entire Broncos defense was paid off so that Timmy Smith could rush for 204 yards in the Super Bowl.

5. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

LeBron signs now: ESPN and national media talk about LeBron as much as they have been.
    LeBron waits til next summer to sign: ESPN and national media talk about LeBron for every second of basketball coverage, making this entire season about LeBron's contract, thus putting LeBron at Brett Favre status as far as "Where will he sign?" even though we all knew the answer to Favre(he was coming back), and probably all know the answer to LeBron(he'll sign with the Cavs)
    LeBron will sell more jerseys and be in the conversations of a lot more people this year by not signing yet. It makes more sense than "He wants to be a 'basketball God' in New York while giving his hometown the finger and leaving money on the table."

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If LeBron is sure he wants to stay in Cleveland, he has nothing significant to gain by pretending to be undecided. ZERO. He doesn't have to posture to get the Cavs to try to put the best possible team around him -- they're going to do that anyway, because they know that an unhappy LeBron could always exert pressure to force a trade, regardless of whether he's signed long-term. He's not going to get more money out of them, because they'll obviously pay him the max. Kobe, for instance, could have opted out this summer and become a free agent, but very quietly signed an extension because he was perfectly happy with his situation. If LeBron were entirely satisfied with his situation, he woud have done the same thing. And cwilson, if he's the kind of guy who would drag this out just to get a little more media attention, then he's the kind of guy who'd be interested in upgrading to a larger market like NY.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Broadway, I think he likes the attention.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Could be, Xan, which would bode well for NY. See the last sentence of my previous post.

9. SMRT, smart, you are.

Dunces.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Why is it that so many assume that everyone who is a star WANTS to play in New York? Some people don't want the bullshit that comes from playing in the Big Apple. I'm not convinced that he wants to play in NYC.

11. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

I think he's the kind of guy to get more PUBLICITY to improve his brand, which tells me he's not the kind of guy to piss away $30 million to play for fans with the logic you use.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Sigh. This keeps going round and round. He wouldn't necessarily be giving up $30 million. The argument can certainly be made that he can more than recoup the difference in salary with the increased outside income he would get by playing in one of the media centers of the world. Maybe you dispute that. Feel free. But the case can certainly be made, and LeBron appears prepared to at least explore that possibility. If he's a CEO concerned with LeBron James Inc., why wouldn't he seriously consider moving his company to a city where the overall revenues might very well be bigger?

Draft saved Draft deleted