1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron dropping a hint?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by broadway joe, Aug 24, 2009.

1. the fop

the fop Member

I'll buy that he'd be revered in New York, especially if he could win a title with what would figure to be a fairly sorry cast. What I disagree with is that it couldn't happen with the Cavs. Our biggest stage? No. Most title-starved stage? Quite possibly.

Best is people who say he should play in New York because he'd be a huge celebrity. Like, what, hanging with Jay-Z and Beyonce? Have his own clothing line and ad campaigns with Nike? Host the ESPYs and SNL? That kind of celebrity?

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Lots of things wrong in that post.

First, I didn't suggest that the ESPN interview jump-started anything. I don't know where you're getting that. His declining the extension didn't "jump-start" anything either. It was another development that was open to interpretation, just like his statement in the interview.

Second, the thread title asks a question -- is LeBron dropping a hint? Nothing misleading about that.

Third, nothing good could come from LeBron and Kobe on the same team? Are you suggesting that the Lakers would actually be worse if LeBron joined them? That's on the short list of the most insane things ever said on this board.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

The Knicks are an organization whose fans love LeBron more than anyone that's actually played for the team in the last 10 years. Reason being that its been one of the worst-run organizations in sports and is owned by the worst ownership family in sports today, the Dolans.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Pistons probably have enough money to get a deal done as well.

Not saying they will, but I believe they are pretty far under the cap.

Full disclosure: I really don't follow the NBA, except a few grafs here and there in the paper.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The only way he'd leave Cleveland is for one of the big two media markets, LA or NY. The Lakers are out (and the Clippers and Nets don't count) so that leaves the Knicks. He wouldn't leave a contending team in his hometown to go to Detroit or Chicago or Orlando or some such because those would basically be lateral moves. If he leaves, it will be because he believes a bigger market can make him an even bigger icon. If he doesn't go to NY, he'll stay put.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

It's funny as hell watching the Knick fanboi clowns try to talk themselves into thinking they have a shot at LeBron. "But, but, but...he said this!" We have a chance!!!!"
    Uhh, no you don't.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

He'll be worth more to, and be able to make more jack from, his corporate sponsors, however, by playing in the NBA's largest media market. That may be enough to make up for the difference in base salary.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

And he didn't sign an extension because....?

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Because it did not make sound business sense to sign the extension now. Are you even familiar with the situation? Do yourself a favor, accept he is not coming there now so you will not be too disappointed next summer. LeBron James will be talked about on a daily basis during the next off-season. "Will he stay or will he go" stories will lead SportsCenter three times a week, if not more. LeBron James, Inc. will get so much friggin free promotion. As a businessman he would have been a fool to sign the extension now for a number of reasons. And the "his sponsors will get more exposure and he will make more money if he is not in a small market" argument is baseless. Two things, $30 million over the life of the contract is how much more the Cavs will be able to pay him. Second, Dan Gilbert just sold minority interest in the team to a Chinese conglomerate. Sorry, NY, over a billion screaming Chinese NBA fans will spend more money than New Yorkers. Just come to terms with it. It's for your own good.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

LeBron will be a god in N.Y. if he wins a title there, but it's not entirely out of the question for him to fall out of favor with the fanbase for whatever reason (be it more losing seasons, failure to click with his personality, et cetera). Whereas in Cleveland, atleast IMO, he could win a title and hold that godlike status for however long he so desired.

There's nothing like being a hometown hero (yes, I know Cleveland isn't his home, but still). He'd be taking a huge gamble by going to the Knicks.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, because LeBron currently is making no endorsement money. Hardly anybody knows who he is.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Kobe and LeBron on the same team? I'll pass. Too many egos, not enough basketball. That's not insane. That's smart.

And I'm still waiting to hear what hint LeBron dropped in that awful interview that he didn't already drop or that wasn't already known....*crickets, crickets*

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted