1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lebron ad nauseam, squared

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Jul 7, 2010.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

They've got reporters stationed in every city where James entertained offers from teams, for reaction, I presume.
    All this blatherous foreplay might have been worthwhile if we had some inkling what kinds of deals, packages, first born children were being offered to LeBron. But ... no. Well, there may have been reporting on that, but I have concerned myself not at all with LeTour LeBron.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There has always been a huge amount of idle and uninformed speculation in journalism, and that goes triple for cable of all kinds. Hell, the business networks are ALL speculation all the time. Buy? Sell? Up? Down? That's all day every day. ESPN's applied the formula to sports, that's all.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good ol' Buzz Bissinger has really been ripping Lebron, ESPN and friends with glee. Latest is the choice of the Boys and Girls Clubs in one of the richest cities in the world for the announcement.

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

ESPN is in the business of creating news as much as reporting on it. One only look at Favre ever year, or this year's World Cup, and this LeBron mess. Would World Cup be on the front page if ESPN wasn't driving it? If no one was following LeBron's every movement, would there be this television special? It's still news, nothing like this. It's something to drive ratings and to fill 24 hours a day of empty air space.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Welcome to the post-Lebron-free-agency era. I don't feel any different.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fucking fucking nauseating.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Anyone else notice ESPN had a typo in its day-long promotion of The Douchision?

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Next up on ESPN----Kaiser Soze's real identity is revealed in an hour-long special hosted by Kevin Spacey.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

P.S. I'm proud to say I successfully boycotted the show tonight. Never tempted to watch it. Just like the entire NBA season, playoffs included.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

His Twitter has been the best thing about the night.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hilarious on Buzz.

And this will accelerate ESPNMiami.com to a late October launch.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It also helps if you have the TV contract. If World Cup had been on, say, Versus, then ESPN would have devoted one or two minutes of airtime on each Sportscenter to soccer.

Draft saved Draft deleted