1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBatard's column on Jason Taylor and playing with pain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 13, 2013.

1. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

"Don't give a shit about medical, doc. Give me some of that cortisone shit. Please?"

Shark Lavay taught me everything I needed to know about the lengths these gladiators of the gridiron will travel to profit while entertaining.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One of the few that made it back.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You can't deny his talent, and he still brings it sometimes. He is ripped for being a fanboi and an obnoxious TV and radio personality.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm very confident the opening graph is a lecture. Maybe it's just a lecture you want to hear. Junior Seau's in the opening graf.

Beyond, who's talking about the world's problems? Taylor outlines all of his suffering, and at the end he says, essentially, "fuck yeah, I'd do it again." It raises the question: If he doesn't care, why should we? Moreover, if he doesn't care, why do we need to know about it? And finally: Why doesn't he care?

I'm not necessarily arguing that myself, mind you. I'm suggesting if you use the phrase "no earthly idea" in the open, you take on some responsibility for at least plumbing the depths of "why?"

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

First, Boom, I fundamentally disagree on the "life lessons." That's kind of all of our jobs in all of life. In the effort to steer clear of being pegged as a moralist, too many journalists skew way in the other direction to become finger-wagging, unendurable relativists.

Not that it means writers and athletes need to prudes or activists. If LeBatard hadn't written that pathetic opening graph directed square at the reader -- the fan of the "monster" -- I wouldn't quibble with the rest of it as much. But so long as we're talking suicides and monsters -- about how, according to LeBatard, the game isn't changing despite the fact that is probably is, and for the better -- we might as well not lionize all the horseshit Taylor went through by letting him have his cake and eat it too by the end.

We do that to the military all the time. They're treated like shit, they're not paid very well, they embark on murky missions, they're committing suicide in record numbers...but here's the story of how one of the few well-adjusted dudes killed ten terrorists in Iraq. <i>Fuck yeah.</i>

Like I said, LeBatard has great talent. Always has. Outwrites a lot of people. But his intellectual dishonesty -- which to me is borne out of a need to be seen as insightful, which generally points to great insecurity -- consistently abounds. He told terrific half-truths about guys like Ricky Williams and Terrell Owens, two completely miserable fucks that LeBatard attempted to elevate, respectively, into enlightened man and enduring survivor. I can either accuse of him being a dupe -- which he is not -- or as one simply choosing to frame these stories in a perspective that sets him apart from common sense. That's a generally popular thing to do these days, postmodern deconstructionism, and he's done well by it, considering his abundant success.

6. Boom_70

Insightful Alma. I did not really see the disconnect starting with Junior Seau and lionizing Taylor when I first read. I see it now and understand your well reasoned point.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

It could be used to make us feel sorry for him but also to recognize the mentality that exists. Here's Taylor who went through a life of pain but he hasn't learned anything from it.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's not that he hasn't learned from it. He's deemed it worth it.
    The fame, acclaim and the compensation were worth it in Taylor's mind.
    That may not the case for every NFL retiree, but it is here. But I also think LeBatard should check back in 10 years and see if Taylor has the same mindset.

9. Boom_70

Be an interesting question to ask writers if they had to do it all over again, would they go to journalism school.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Most of the people praising him on this thread worked with him at the Herald.

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Yeah, I've worked with him and six other columnists who have won Top 10 in 250K-above. Pretty comfortable saying he's the best. I'm a big fan because I've seen him do his thing. He's a reporter at heart. A terrific interviewer and even better writer. People tell him things. He broke a lot of stories and handed those to his reporters or at very least assisted significantly in the process, then explained why it mattered, did or didn't make sense. He's the guy you want to read when anything significant happens in Miami and occasionally beyond. And yeah, he often writes above the noise. People get mad at that, call him an apologist. Those people normally are part of the noise. Dude sees things because he's usually as close to it as the players.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Has he ever gotten shot up for an important deadline?

Draft saved Draft deleted