1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBatard out at ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 3, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I want to see Rinaldi and Holly Rowe going for the same interview and Rowe deliver a sharp elbow to his mug.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that felt more like an old guy cashing in, vs. a fire sale. He also kept FOX News, IIRC, which is probably still printing money. I think ESPN being lumped in with Disney Plus and other aspects of their empire will help to stabilize it, but the days of it being a monster on its own because of cable carriage fees are probably gone.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think this is Fox realizing they have a superior college football pregame show and the stories Rinaldi produces being the weak link. To be honest, although you immediately realize when you see his face that the next seven minutes will make you sad, it’s the only portion of Gameday I pay any attention to anymore because they’re so well done and because the rest of the show is cliched garbage at this point.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Will Rinaldi get to bring his piano music with him? The music does more work than his writing.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a sidebar on the piano player(s) for Rinaldi's pieces.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Follow me! Follow me to freedom!

Spartan Squad and exmediahack like this.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Perhaps that piano player also does the piano music for political ads -- the image ads (soft, harmony) and the attack ads (black keys).

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I really enjoyed his Red Bandana piece which he actually wrote a book on about the BC college lax player. Was outstanding but then I realized almost all his pieces seemed the same with the same flow and same cliche descriptions about each person.

I do agree there is an element needed on Fox but not sure Rinaldi the dude.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is so good. People were so angry.

Iron_chet likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Does anybody listen to Le Batard's main podcast? They are so far up their own asses, it is unlistenable. Part of the radio show's angle was it wasn't all about sports and Dan tried to use his platform to offer different viewpoints. But I cannot listen to the podcast. Today, they talked about their Twitter accounts for 15 minutes before I had to turn it off. Le Batard didn't even talk for the first 5 minutes. I thought he was out for the day. A few days ago I listened to a show based on the description on Castbox and it had nothing to do with the description. They were just jacking each other off.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm a big LeBatard fan and I quit listening to the show/podcast a couple of years ago. I liked that it wasn't all about sports, but eventually it became strictly about itself. I don't need an hour on "Stugotz needs a dinner reservation."

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So many become just self reverential. Imus was the start. His last 20 years was how rich he was and how powerful. He was the IMan and he was powerful. Imus ate at Raos, did you? Of course not, you’re shit. Kornheiser had a great podcast, and then it became who came get me free stuff. Dan Patrick is better but it’s The Dan Patrick Show. It’s less about the sports and the news then about the host. And since everyone has a radio show or podcast it’s tough to get smart knowledgeable guests willing to be smart and open. Why should they, if they had something to say, they have an outlet.

Draft saved Draft deleted