1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBatard out at ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 3, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

His other fuck up moment was an angry - I mean ANGRY - response when people criticized the entertainment value in the boring 13-3 Patriots/Rams Super Bowl. It was bizarre.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Betting on the NFL preseason is pathetic.

heyabbott, Hermes, sgreenwell and 5 others like this.
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LeBatard is out but Anita Marks still employed. Where's the justice?

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Pathetic and profitable. #RavensAugustBonus

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I had betting apps during the Dungy/Manning years in Indy, I'd be driving a nicer car (or at least would have had some free gas). They didn't give a flying crap in the preseason. Those angles are right in front of you every year (also bet on rookie coaches, who try to win them). Dolts like Wingo just like to make the cheap remark about degenerates -- which is funny now considering all the networks are in bed with betting.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Dog8Cats likes this.
  6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I had high hopes for Wingo when he went to the morning show, as Mike and Mike had clearly sailed past their "Sell by" date.

But Wingo's shtick of "I play golf, look at how much Golic likes donuts, hardy har har!" got old fast.

I can't remember a single insightful, interesting thing he ever contributed to that show.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

On Friday Kay and Lagreca were talking about cat piss.

It's a topsy turvy world we live in.

8. exmediahack

Wingo was just never relatable. A solid anchor/host but you need some level of relatability when you’re doing radio/podcasts. Even Rob Lowe - who lives a different life than all of us - comes across as relatable on his podcast.

wicked, BurnsWhenIPee and sgreenwell like this.
  9. exmediahack

Perhaps I’ve been in TV long enough to think ESPN put Wingo on radio to, eventually, make him want to leave and allow them to get Golic off that platform as well.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

At a place that big, I don't know if they could get three people to agree on what the lunchroom menu should be, never mind scheme up a way with a few moving parts to get a B-list anchor out of there.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anything too complicated going on with Wingo.

His contract is up. He didn't want to continue doing what he was doing. They didn't have anything else they wanted him to do. He seems to have overestimated his value to the company.

Easy way to shed a large contract.

JC and exmediahack like this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I thought Wingo was a good studio host when he was on NFL Live.

He was a guy like Brian Kenny who was better off working for the league flagship than he was working for ESPN. So I'd expect Wingo to end up at NFL Network with Eisen.

BartonK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted