1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBatard on TMZ Sports and Gotcha Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 8, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Was this posted here? Apologies if it was....seems like SJ wheelhouse material.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He's wrong on one count, for sure...

That was 100 percent funny.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

TMZ might not be breaking new ground here. Deadspin tried to do this with Ovie Mughelli a few months ago. I know because it was the very moment I swore off Deadspin forever.
  4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

TMZ, to my knowledge, has never outed an actor or singer (Perez Hilton, a different story). I don't think they're necessarily going to start outing athletes (creator Harvey Levin is gay, for what it's worth). And 2007 was really the first time he felt something had shifted? That A-Rod picture? Hmm. TMZ will cover sports trials - thrilling - and the late-night antics of guys hitting .275, in the same way their bread and butter is often B-list celebrities, not necessarily the big guys. It's a horrible site. And an even more annoying TV show: "So, Nicole Eggert was walking past a Dairy Queen last week," says the long-haired doofus hipster. "And our guy was like, 'Yo, Nicole, did you get a sundae or a shake?' HAHAHAHAHAHA."

But I don't see it altering the landscape anymore than any of the other major sites - deadspin, brooks, big lead - have.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

LeBatard remains a talented writer...and I still can't bring myself to ever agree with him in a committed fashion, because he is a noted apologist of athletes, and when a Ricky Williams quits football and his playoff-promising team because he's addicted to marijuana, LeBatard scolds the reader for thinking it's anything less than a spiritual choice.

In other words, LeBatard would gladly write about the personal lives of athletes so long as they protect and justify the athlete, and the story comes scrubbed with the athlete's full approval. He's done so skillfully many times.
  6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Well played.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He "had to"? Really? Not to play golf, he didn't. Maybe to salvage his endorsements. But that was his choice all along.

And it's "ménages à trois", Dan. Just find the right term instead of pretending that's it's funny that you don't know it.
  8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

indeed, sir.
  9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't understand how the "Stray-Rod" story changed the landscape, more than two decades after Wade Boggs was sued by Margo Adams. That was the one I remember from my childhood, though others may have different examples.

Athletes stepping out has been media fodder for a long time. No need to beat our breasts and scream that TMZ, or radaronline, or any of the so-called sports media gossip Web sites invented this scene.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I was at a Baltimore Orioles home game against The Red Sox right after Boggs mistress Margo Adams was publicized. Memorial stadium was close to sold out and every time Boggs came to the plate 40,000+ yelled MAAAARRRR-GOOOOOO. This stuff has been going on for 25 years, TMZ isn't doing anything new. It's just doing it in quantity.
  11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

PR, I get your point, but the analogy doesn't really work here. Margo Adams filed a $12 million lawsuit against Boggs, which gave the media something legit to cover. Not really the same as publishing pics of ballplayers with random women.
  12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

You can't be serious----WHO???!!!
Draft saved Draft deleted