1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBatard on Kosar

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarltonBanks, Jun 23, 2009.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Is it me or does LeBatard make Kosar look like a raving idiot?

http://www.miamiherald.com/609/story/1106965.html

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It was discussed on the Kosar thread. The story got pretty good reviews from us.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2502710/

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Thanks girl ... I looked for a thread already but didn't see one.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting...I stopped reading the Kosar thread and wouldn't have seen this story.

Very good work by LeBatard. Kosar IS a raving idiot in the real-world department. A saw for bread, for chrissakes.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Good stuff here. It speaks well to LeBatard's credibility and reputation that he can get invited to watch his subject sign bankruptcy papers and otherwise hang out to watch said subject's personal disintegration in progress.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As an enabler of Hurricanes In Trouble? Yes.

Good story, though. No two ways about it.

7. jaredk

jaredk Member

Good stuff, but why quote obvious lies without comment? Kosar says he lent to teammates without being repaid money that reached "eight figures." Same with friends and family. Charities, "well over eight figures." He never defines what "well over" means, but I'm assuming he doesn't mean nine figures, so let's just say it's $11 million. Does anyone believe that Kosar gave away $31 million? LeBatard owed his readers a raised eyebrow or at least one more question, like, "Bro, c'mon, how is that possible?"

8. chester

chester Member

Actually, I can. Kosar has a reputation for being very charitable. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if that's the case here.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That goes beyond "very" charitable. Excessively is more like it.
    My guess is combined - eight figures - maybe?

10. jaredk

jaredk Member

So you believe the guy's smart enough to have earned, oh, the taxable $50 million necessary to have $31 million at hand to give away to dead-beats and yet so dumb he'll not pay a legal debt of a measly $1.5 million to his former employer? I don't think so. Nor do I think his divorce lawyers have cost him between $4 and $5 million -- even at $600 an hour, that's more than 7,000 hours of legal work. Possible, don't you think?, that Kosar's exaggerating and LeBatard's going along with it. Or maybe you think Bernie's house really does have "a million doors."

11. chester

chester Member

Hey, I'm not defending Bernie here. I think he's come across as a drunk every time I've seen him interviewed or broadcasting Browns preseason games. But you seem to be really worked up about this judging by the tone of your response. Maybe you need to take it up with LeBatard, since he's the one who wrote the piece.

12. jaredk

jaredk Member

Easy, big fella. You said you could believe he's $31 million-generous without giving any reason to believe it. So I gave you some reasons I don't believe it. Had nothing to do with LeBatard beyond my original post asking why he would print what I considered obvious lies. That's what a journalism-only board is for, I thought. To discuss journalism and its practice.

Draft saved Draft deleted