1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBatard column on the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jaredk, Nov 29, 2007.

1. jaredk

jaredk Member

In the last 15 years, according to a piece this week by Dan's colleague, Linda Robertson, 8 U of Miami football players have died violently: 3 shot, 1 beaten to death, 4 in car wrecks.

But Dan thinks the media shouldn't wonder why these things keep happening.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/324931.html

Seems to me, if a columnist is bothered by media reports that he believes say nothing concrete, the last thing he should write is another column that says nothing concrete. Go do some reporting. Tell me why there has been no arrest in the murder of a Miami player last year. Tell me why I should ignore the fact that Taylor's car was riddled by gunfire that left 27 shell casings in the street. Go interview the kid Taylor jacked up preceding that drive-by message, ask the kid if he's a suspect. (Local CBS TV did that.) Talk to some Taylor neighbors. Walk the street at 1 in the morning, tell me what it sounds like. Do something that Edna Buchanan would be proud of. Then write.

Or just take the day off.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What do car wrecks have to do with the repute of a program? And many athletes from big-time programs came from rough neighborhoods; we know that without Lebatard having to pull a Jane Byrne. It's not just a Miami thing. Robertson didn't seem to provide much that LeBatard had to really knock down.

3. Dan has his tin drum
    Whitlock has his.
    I hate the opinion culture of this business sometimes.

4. "I don't know how anyone could lack so much compassion that they would somehow blame a city or school or culture to this awfulness, as if a city or school or culture could possibly deserve something that brings this kind of sobbing and wailing."

Maybe Dan didn't ask Antrell Rolle - one of Taylor's actual friends - about this.

5. Why do people believe Rolle more than they believe the Miami cops?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The reports I have seen and read have not "blamed" anyone as he believes, but I think they have provided context. Read the SI piece this week on Vick, that's very good journalism that (sadly) might be applicable here.

Plus, I don't need an ESPN talking head telling me that the talking heads are out of line.

7. If there's a "might" in there, then it's not applicable.
    Your talking-head point is a good one, though.

8. Why do people believe Dan or Fenian more than Antrell Rolle? If one of your friends died, wouldn't you probably have a better - at least a rough - idea of what was going on with that person?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bottom line is that in some places Miami is a dangerous city. It's not just for decoration that lots of modest, block homes have iron bars on the windows.

And if the University of Miami has a thug reputation it brought that on itself.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Plus... their fathers are/were both cops. He knows plenty, Antrel Rolle.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ace and I are in agreement. Two many UM players, past and present, have died or been involved in too many incidents, to not come to the rational conclusion that there has been a pervasive, dark culture of some sort within the program. Did Sean Taylor bring his death on himself? Absolutely not, from all we know at this point. But neither did he lead the life of a choir boy. I hope Randy Shannon roots it out.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and DLB's being deliberately obtuse, which is nothing new, in this neighborhood . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted