1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving without a job lined up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TopNotch1127, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's comforting. But you're probably right. I would have taken my life after the 19th consecutive hour of listening to Full Moon Fever.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I didn't have a choice to when I left my parent's house. I got a job out of the state so I really couldn't commute with a 12-hour drive. I mean, I could, but rush hour would be a pain.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

don't do me like that.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm sorry. I don't mind your music at all. It's just an easy joke.

5. yer so bad.

(best tp solo song)

6. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

To be honest Angola! I got engaged after being home for just over a year and since I'm getting hitched in December my parents aren't going to make me move out. I might as well save a bit more before slapping down mortage payments. And I apologize that I said your parents are dicks. My mom and dad like having my two brothers and sister around, and could care less if we lived there into our 30s. They work, travel and in general, have a good time no matter if we live there or not. I mean my mom does not do my laundry, aqmke my bed, clean up after me or tuck me in, and I work at night and am gone on the weekends, so it's not like we see each other that much.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

= denial.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Seriously, dude. If you move back home and your mom doesn't tuck you in, you're getting a raw deal. At least have her read you a story.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

your generation certainly is blazing some trails, mike.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd never take my generation down with me. This is my own journey, sir.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm living at home now, have been since Oct. 1.

I'm 29.

I'm (I sure as hell hope) on the verge of moving out. Let's hope I didn't just jinx myself.

It's a humiliating, humbling experience. It's wearing on everyone involved.

PTOWN, you come off sounding like a freeloader. Whether that's a correct assumption on my part, I don't know. But you sound so goddamn glib about the whole thing.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

I did it. (I got a buyout package, which helped.)
    But while things looked bleak for a while, suddenly the tumblers clicked into place and I ended up with a much more enjoyable job for comparable pay.

It had been so long since I'd gone to a job I enjoyed I didn't even think one existed.

Life's too short.

Sometimes you gotta say, "What the fuck."

Draft saved Draft deleted