1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving without a job lined up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TopNotch1127, Jan 14, 2008.

1. TopNotch1127

TopNotch1127 New Member

So, I've decided to call it quits. I put in my two weeks, and my last day is Saturday.

Herein lies the problem. Although I've been vigorously applying to copywriter, publications and other journalism-based positions back home in Chicago (I'm moving back in with my parents for a while to save up some money), I haven't been able to even land an interview anywhere. I figure that it's mostly because I'm still fairly young, and my only real work experience is the 2.5 months that I've been a sports writer.

Has anyone else left a job without another lined up, or am I just incredibly moronic? And also, what are some things I can say in my oh-so-critical cover letter to help sell that I can do other things besides writing sports.

As much as I thought about it, I've decided that saying "I used to work bad hours for shitty pay, so my expectations aren't that high," won't get me far ...

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's a bad move to leave without having a job lined up. Before you quit, you're supposed to have a job lined up so that you're not destitute or living on unemployment.

Since it sounds like you're at the beginning stages of your career, I would sell whatever experience you had in college or at internships. I'd consider freelancing at community papers to build up some clips and stick a few dollars in your pocket. Even working at a volunteer paper might give you some experience you can bring to bear once you do get a job at another shop.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so true, forever had to say it twice.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

My two favorite avatars in a row, I love it.

TP, I prefer yours, though. She looks like she does in the Midnight Special.

Also, don't look back T_N. Make your move and be happy near family and friends...

5. TN,

Sounds like you're young enough to pull off something like this. Once you get older and have a family/mortgage/etc., this wouldn't be too smooth a move. I guess it's best to do it while you can.

As for what to put on your resume, it's hard to tell without knowing what your background is. Do you have clips of other published writing? (Although I think if you can write sports, you can write anything; not so sure if the converse is true.)

Oh, and I love both Stevie avatars. Kinda like the ever-changing looks of Queen Elizabeth on Canadian coins.

6. Go State

Go State Member

I did this same thing about two years ago, T_N -- and I'm from Chicago as well. I came home, freelanced for the papers I freelanced for on holiday breaks from college to keep writing and put some money in the bank. Most important thing -- keep writing. Without having a full-time writing gig, it's easy to get away from it and become rusty. When you land a stringing job at a local paper, don't settle for going out and covering high school games and writing 10-inch gamers. Pitch feature ideas, stories with substance. Not only will that keep you writing, but it will also help you get better clips when applying for jobs.

Since I left my job with nothing lined up, I landed a regular feelancing gig for a major, major Web site as well as a job with a major metro paper. While it probably isn't the smartest move to do what we've done, things can pan out. Just don't get frustrated if it doesn't happen right away for you.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I hope everything turns out for the best, but don't do this again.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't mean to bag on T_N, but why do you still want to be in the business? You have a few threads complaining about the low pay and lack of social life. Plus, I think it would be tough to get a gig in Chicago without enough experience.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This also is a tough time to decide that you want a journalism job in one particular location. Maybe Wal-Mart is hiring, though.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I have twice quit a job without having another one, and lucky for me it worked out in my favor both times.

But I'm single and debt free, otherwise I never would have done it.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

After 2.5 months, you better have something good to fall back on. I can't imagine that it's going to help going into an interview and trying to explain that you thought you were ready for the real world, only to find out you weren't.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

if you want to stay in the business, better get used to shitty pay and bad hours. or is it shitty hours and bad pay?
    in today's job market, best think twice before quitting any job without something lined up. Those major metros, in case you haven't noticed, aren't exactly hiring a lot of people right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted