1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving this biz, my 2nd family

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michelle Hiskey, Aug 29, 2008.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

A beautifully written piece, Ms. Hiskey. All the best to you and your family.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

That woman can really write. I wish I had been more aware of her when she was writing sports at the AJC.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Michelle Hiskey joins the ranks of "smartest journalists."

Good luck to you, Michelle. Good luck to all.

4. silentbob

silentbob Member

I've spent a lot of time in Atlanta over the years, and I quickly learned to keep an eye out for Michelle's byline. Very sad to see her go.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That woman?
    She's HERE, starting this thread, with her own name!!

6. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Didn't mean that in a negative way.

Sort of like, "That guy can rake!"

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I figured. I was just giving you some shit. It's what I do when I have three-day weekends.
    Never been off on Labor Day that I can recalled.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Best wishes, Michelle. Many will be following the path you're taking, most likely.

9. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Best wishes to Michelle and another thanks from a former Poynter classmate.

This comment isn't specifically about Michelle's deal, but is it possible tears are unnecessary in these instances? No one is forced to take a buyout. For many of us, that's a great offer in the face of looming firings. Her story basically claims she's leaving for greener pastures. To quote her, "The buyout offered paid time to get [a book] done." There are many of us who would make that decision in a heartbeat, even with 25 years at one place. I sympathize with her connection to the people she's met. But it shouldn't be seen as a sad day in her life; this, and if there are stories like it, should be celebrated as the grand new adventure it is.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Leave the newb alone, Moddy.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's a shame that journalists have to write goodbye columns under circumstances like that. Good luck with your memoir, Michelle.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry, but you contradict yourself in the last two sentences. Choose to leave or get fired is not a choice. They're forcing you by dropping the hint that you're next.

Right. But after the book is done...then what? And it's a book for her family, if I remember correctly. It's not like she's going to be living off the money she makes on it (nor was/is that ever the goal).

My guess is she would have rather written the book on the weekends and in her spare time and retained her byline...and paycheck...and career.

Draft saved Draft deleted