1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving so soon? Erickson headed to ASU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Dec 9, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Leaky asshat. Sounds like a distant cousin of anal drip. So proud.

2. trounced

trounced Active Member

Just what I was going to say. At the Combine one year I don't think he left the hotel bar for three or four days.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Factually, that is correct. But Idaho's conference schedule was back-loaded after opening with Utah State, New Mexico State and La. Tech. After the Vandals gave Boise a decent game, they lost the last four games by a cumulative score of 175-30. Guess Lisa must have missed those results, 'cause it sure as hell looked as if his team quit on him after Boise.

Bad hire for all the reasons stated in this thread, the biggest one being that if he does accomplish anything special with this program, he'll immediately look for something else.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Maybe he'll be smart enough not to return to the NFL. Maybe.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

That is a big maybe. I bet he would, just because it's hard for whores to stop giving blowjobs if the money's right.

But really, the flack he takes for his NFL years is not really fair. He took an absolutely God awful Seattle team and turned them into a middling group and would have made the playoffs -- and saved his job -- had it not been for a phantom Testaverde TD that actually served as the impetus for IR to return to the league. Then in SF he took a maneater of a gig in a terrible organization that was so up against the cap there was no room to make any changes ... and then he was the fall guy.

But I'll agree, Idaho quit this year, but that was not a team ready to do anything. He didn't coach them up or down ... they did exactly what they should have done, beat the teams they should have beaten, but that Hawaii-Nevada-Fresno State stretch was among the worst football I've ever witnessed, and I have seen a lot of bad football. The Idaho gig required more energy than he was ready to give, more time recruiting and selling, and the ASU job is the kind where you open the doors, the kids come to you and you go out and draw up plays, which is what he's all about.

Read Bud Withers column in the Seattle Times for all the reasons this guy has no business coaching on a college campus. It's one thing to not be a strong advocate of academics and another thing to intentionally torpedo your kids' progress toward academic success.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I would say his Seattle teams underachieved. Granted, his teams were hideous at first and that horrible call kept them out of the playoffs his last year, but he never could get over the 8-8 hump, despite the fact that Paul Allen opened the bank vault.

7. busuncle

busuncle Member

Realistically, this is Erickson's last job. All this strange worry about him "jumping" to another job really doesn't make sense, since the only way that would happen is if there were some sort of miracle season in Tempe, in which case fans would be too jubliant to care.

Erickson realized he didn't want his career to end in Idaho. The AD at ASU gave him a break. That's all there is to this.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Sure, and the only problem with that is that he came in spewing line after line about how he wanted to finish his career at Idaho. He simply has no integrity.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bump.

Idaho has hired Wazzu DC Rob Akey as its new coach, according to various sources. He won't even have to move.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So the school was too cheap to pay moving expenses?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That sounds familiar.

12. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I suppose Idaho feels he has roots in that area of Washington/Idaho and thus would be less tempted to leave in a heartbeat if he does in fact turn the program around.

Draft saved Draft deleted