1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving $$$ on the table

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think he also has some obligation to the union which put him in this position. Solidarity is the foundation of an effective union.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How do you arrive at this conclusion? Or do you just resent people who have unique marketable talents?

People are worth every dime they can get for their talents or services. It's the American way.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How exactly is it anti-union to support Cliff Lee's right to choose what he wants even if it means taking less money?

And qtlaw makes an excellent point.

4. Dick Whitman

Excellent point.

If I were the union, I would be more concerned about the guys that don't even test free agent waters - I recall there was some consternation about Mark Buerhle's in-season deal with the White Sox, to the point that the contract was in limbo for a day or two because the union considered challenging it.

5. Dick Whitman

Not necessarily that. Moreso some of the posts like "screw the union" and that "his obligation is to his family, not the union." Also, look up the old thread on Bob Kravitz's column about Sean Payton.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If the union gives Lee shit about this deal, then yes, I say screw them, too. It is his right and his choice. That does not mean I am anti-union.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do you even understand the modern day union? Honestly, I don't think you do. I'm as pro-union as anybody here and the union has done its job. They have provided Lee with the "opportunity" to take advantage of these conditions. "Opportunity" is not something MLBPA has always had. Union negotiations aren't always about just money, it can be about benefits and working conditions as well.

Once again you are trying to come across as the smartest guy in the room, you are not. this is not the 50's through 80's where I would agree that he would have had an obligation to the union. His value is what he was offered, he did his job.

8. Dick Whitman

Why can't you make your point without this nonsense?

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This isn't entirely right. ALL contracts affect others, but obviously some have more affect than others. There are different markets for different classes of player -- from second basemen to post-arbitration corner outfielders to slugging first basemen to back-up catchers. Instead of one bar being raised, imagine a lot of smaller bars based on all the different classes of player. Even a guy like David Ross, who signed a nice, two-year deal with Atlanta, helped his fellow back-up catchers.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

So Whitman you think Lee had an obligationto the union to take the Yankee dollars and be unhappy instead of taking a few million less per year and being happy in Philly?

Figure it this way. The Yankees offer was $22 mill-$23 mill per year avg. The Philly deal looks like $20 mill per avg.
    Consider than Pennsylvania State income tax is a few percent lower the NY State and that Philly does not have city income tax which I think is 2 1/2-3% in NYC and how much difference is there really .... a million a year. No big deal.

The union has no problem with a pitcher taking $20 mill a year

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why do you have to be the board contrarian to try to show how smart you are? You are wrong on this, dead wrong.

He is worth what he is offered, not what he accepted. He did his job, the union has no right to be pissed

12. Dick Whitman

I guess I think that each player has a moral obligation to at least consider the effect of a contract on the union and, therefore, his fellow players.

Draft saved Draft deleted