1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving for a new job- last column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bhmccorm, Jul 6, 2012.

1. bhmccorm

bhmccorm New Member

Hello folks, looking for a little bit of advice here. I'm starting a new job soon and writing the "I've found someone else" column for the paper I'm leaving. I'm having a difficult time for several reasons, chief among them that I don't have much time to think about one right now between looking for a house in the new location and trying to get packed to move. I'm also not feeling very inspired, namely I don't want to write a puffy departure piece. Anyone got any suggestions, especially of good going away columns they've read, that might get the wheels in my head greased? Thanks--

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unless you feel really compelled (and it's obvious you aren't) don't do the goodbye column. Write something else and tag a note to the bottom.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If you've been there for a while - like a decade or in that ballpark, write one.
    If you've been there for three years, don't. It's asinine.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There are very few good farewell columns, and you're not going to write one if your heart's not in it. Unless you served the community for 20-plus years, you're good to go without one.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This should only be written by long-term people, who are ingrained in the community. These are vanity columns, but, in all seriousness, if you were recognized in the community it is fine to say goodbye. But, make sure you were that important.

6. offwing28

offwing28 Member

Got Twitter/Facebook/a blog that you refer to? No need for formality, maybe link to the stories you talk about... You'll reach your closest readers, and (nothing personal) it's probably better for the casual print readers that you leave them out of it. (Unless you are, as others mentioned, an institution, in which case by all means, but still, make it good).

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If you're coming on here asking for advice and admitting you're having a hard time coming up with things, that should be enough evidence you don't need to write one.

Write about someone else. Write it well. Tag it at the bottom that you're leaving and enjoyed the say, and then get the hell out.

8. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I agree.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The other option is to write about someone in the sports community who you view as an unsung hero, someone who put in the time and made your job easier and more enjoyable. You can work in that it's your last column but focus on another person, serving both your needs.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Do this.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

To summarize: Don't write a farewell column. :)

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I sort of agree. Unless you have something really compelling to say. These days, you can post something on Facebook or Twitter to let anyone who cares know where you are going.

Draft saved Draft deleted